Respected Contributor

Re: French press coffee maker

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435  - I was curious to see what it looked like and so Googled it - WOW!  It's lovely and obviously doesn't even resemble what we think of as a French Press.  I'm smitten with it, even though I don't like the mess of a French Press!

Forgot to add that I used to collect old vintage coffee pots (non electric) and have one that is very similar to this, only it is very old with a wooden handle.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness   Yes, this  style just spoke to me.  Thank you for posting the  picture.    I still haven't  gotten the knack of doing that on my Mac laptop  on this website.  I am as far from proficient in computer tech  as you can get.

I hunted for this style of  a press for many, many months.  There was one on ebay but it was incomplete.  Then a brand new one popped up on  Amazon but at an outrageous price.  Finally it  was offered by a vendor on Amazon at a reasonable price and I pounced.

You must have fun with your vintage coffee pots.  From the time  I was a  little  girl I always  wanted a silver tea service, complete with  tray, and never got one.  I  certainly have no "need"  for it now but I still love to look at them online.  I can get lost on Etsy looking at them.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington,  DC

Regular Contributor

I too love coffee in a French Press.  I have two - a glass one and a ceramic one from LeCrueset.  Neither keep the coffee hot enough.

What I did find, however, are little white bags that you put the coffee in.  This eliminates the need to clean the grinds from the bottom of the press.

Got them at Amazon.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest   We LOVE LOVE LOVE Dark Roast coffee in our house.  I purchase the beans online and we grind beans every day...    we've got a Technivorm coffee maker and recently treated ourselves to the TSV Nespresso to have espresso!   The best coffee we make is in our French Press or Chemex.   Since that takes a little more time and is just a little more manual (especially the Chemex),  we only do that on weekends.  The coffee is incredibly smooth and delicious.  You can absolutley tell the difference.  Even mediocre beans taste good in a FP.  If you love coffee,  you should absolutly get a French Press.  I think  you'll be very pleasantly surprised.  

Let us know what you do ... 

Trusted Contributor

I got so fed up with coffee makers either leaking and breaking or me breaking the carafe.  And, the water reservoir in coffee makers get scummy with slime molds after a while, no matter how often or diligently you run vinegar or coffee pot cleaner through them.

So, I purchased a french press on Amazon and love it!  The coffee is so smooth!

I got the 32 oz. Espro double walled stainlesss steel vacuum insulated coffee press.  This makes three 10 oz. cups of coffee and keeps it hot enough that I don't feel I have to gulp down the coffee.  I like three cups of coffee in the morning (none for the rest of the day), so this is perfect for me.

Getting the grounds out of the bottom was a nuisance until I purchased the OXO good grips coffee grounds cleaning scoop.  This does a great job of scooping out the grounds and I also use it as a long spoon to stir the grounds after I add the hot water.

You do need a kettle to boil the water and it's definitely a different routine for making coffee.  But, I do like the fact that I can make cold coffee overnight in case I lose power in a hurricane or heat the water on the grill for hot coffee and not have to worry about an electric coffee maker.  There's nothing worse than having to clean up hurricane debris in the yard after a hurricane and not be able to have a cup of coffee first because the power is out.

Respected Contributor

@hick - Had to look it up because I had no idea they even made anything like this!  Could be a game changer!

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 - I loved hunting for my old coffee pots and found some interesting ones from years back, both aluminum and enameled ones.  Now I am having to try and get rid of most of them due to lack of room to display.  They used to be mostly above my kitchen cupboards, but where I live now, that space is not tall enough for most of them

My expertise in posting pictures consists of right clicking on the picture to copy it and then clicking "paste" inside the response box here, shutting my eyes and hoping it works - and lo and behold it usually does!  It used to be different, and I think there are still a few different ways to do it, but this works for me!

I too love to browse or window shop for things I love looking at but don't need.  Not a bad pastime I don't think!

Esteemed Contributor

I used my French press for a long time, but I switched to a regular drip where I can have the coffee ready when I get up.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor

We have two French Press makers, a small and a medium.  Yea, they make very good coffee, but cleaning them....all those grounds...le sigh.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the taste of French Press coffee but hate cleaning it out. I have several sizes of Le Creuset ones but they are not very good. I found a 36oz freiling stainless steel insulated one on sale at BBB and it solved the gets cold too fast problem. The friending filter is superior to all others I have tried. My favorite sized one is a Bodum 17oz glass one and I pour the coffee directly into a 20oz Yeti mug and it stays hot as long as needed. 

I love French Presses because they also work great for tea. I do see French Press coffee bags in my future.