Trusted Contributor

A few years back  I bought a stainless steel french door Kitchen Air fridge. It was $1500--a lot for this retired senior citizen. 

I had a service call onit soon after--a .crack in the 25 cent plastic tube from the icemaker caused it to leak on the floor under it. 

Now it has a flimsy wire that came loose (thinner than a dry cleaner hanger) that you flip up to stop the making of ice cubes, or put down when you don't need any more. Well, that .05 wire can't be reattached so every time I pull out the bottom freezer drawer, a whole pile of ice cubes cascades all ovr the back of the drawer and I have to pick the pot full of cubes up one at a time before I can close the freezer back wher it belongs. I refuse to pay $99 for a service call, so I am stuck and swear every time.

Not to mention the stainless steel has rust that won't come off. I thought stainless steel was rust-proof. Guess not.

So because of the cheapness of the parts of this very expensive appliance, I absolutely hate it. If it didn't cost so much I would buy a new one. 

By the way I called the Kitchenaid customer service and they were no help. Would just tell me where I could call for service.

Wish I had my 12 yr. old  fridge back. They don't make appliances like they used to.

Thanks for letting me vent.  I'll bet others have had this problem, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: French Door KitchenAid vent

[ Edited ]

Wow! I am really sorry for your justifiable frustration with what should be a dependable product, as Kitchenaid is known for quality, and purportedly stellar customer service. Because it is so distressing for you, it might be worth a try to initiate the service call, in spite of the 99.00 investment. It certainly is cheaper than a new one, and hopefully soon you will be stress free.😊 This is the perfect place to vent, because we don't charge.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

My understanding is that all the fridges are made in the same Chinese factories, just with different exteriors, names and logos on them but the internal workings are the same.  I had similar problem you had not long after I purchased new stainless steel kitchen appliances 12 years ago.  The service man was not from GE but from an open shop sort of place that services all kinds of electrical appliances (that is what I got when I called the 1-800 number given me in the booklet).  He says he works on all of them and they are all the same nowadays.    His advice to me about my problem was to unplug the fridge every month or so for a few minutes and let it cool down.  What!  Yes, that's what he told me.  I never heard of such and I have never done it.  The fridge has worked okay since he was there.

Respected Contributor

Ice makers are notorious for malfunctioning.  I have  GE with. a leaking ice maker.  I just don't use the ice maker (lifted the wire handle) and that is a temporary fix.

I am reluctant to get a new fridge cause the one I have has custom wood panels to match the cabinets.

I understand your frustration.  I would have the ice maker disconnected if I were you.  It would be worth the service call.

Honored Contributor

My SIL has Kitchaid applicances and she hates all of them, including the refer----I will steer clear of that brand

Honored Contributor

Depending on where you live, you may get better results from a local handyman type guy.  I finally found a good one myself,, he's seen everything, ,he's fixed everything.   Sometimes a guy like that, with no formal training on one brand knows a more practical fix.

Your icemaker is not set properly for you to have such an overflow problem.

And that's an easy fix you can do yourself.

Find some videos on Youtube.  You'll find someone with the same problem & how they fixed it.

Honored Contributor

Steer clear of Kitchen aid. Must not have been reading my posts about their mixers. Not talking about the mixers from 20-30 yrs ago I'm talking about the new ones. Plus, the food processors aren't worth  ding dong either.

I know people will huff and puff and disagree, but, my experience is they're not worth the money any more. LG, by the way makes good appliances.

Super Contributor

We've had an LG refrigerator which, unfortunately, has cost us a lot of money to repair over the years. The problems all started the month after the warranty was up. 

Honored Contributor

Figures, don't it ?  I took out the extended warranty on mine since I paid

1350 on it. Hope it does me good if I should need it.

Super Contributor

@SharkE - I wish you luck. Good that you got the extended warranty. 💗