Trusted Contributor

Is there a trick to freezing hamburger or hot dog buns? 

It is just my husband and I at home, so if we are having hamburgers, brats, chicken patties, etc. we use 2 of the 8 buns in the package.  I freeze the rest in the package, but by buns # 5 & 6...yuck!  I realize that buns are not that expensive, but if I can not waste so much, it would be great.  Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Valued Contributor

Re: Freezing sandwich buns???

I read one time to place a paper towel underneath the buns or bread, close with the wrapper and insert into a large freezer bag with all the air forced out. It works. I have frozen them and bread like that many times. The trick is to get the paper towel spread across the whole bottom of the buns or bread. 

Honored Contributor

I freeze hot dog, hamburger, and sub buns all the time.   I just stick the original pack inside a gallon freezer bag, and try to use up in a few weeks.  

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

Is there a trick to freezing hamburger or hot dog buns? YUP!

I freeze the rest in the package, but by buns # 5 & 6...yuck! 

@mac116   I freeze hamburger & hot dog rolls as well as loafs of bread by using my Food Saver. 

What I do is seperate the rolls by putting 2 rolls at a time inside the Food Saver bags. 

Loafs of bread I freeze the whole thing inside the original packaging, then I use the large Food Saver that you can custom size.

For thawing, I always thaw at room temp.  Never in the fridge.  The rolls & loafs always come out "fresh."  Never a yucky one.

I have an upright freezer that stays at zero degrees.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I leave the buns in their plastic, and then store them in the freezer with this:

https://www.qvc.com/LocknLock-Set-of-4-Square-Storage-Containers-with-Dome-Lids.product.K48823.html?...

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 14.07.57.png

I'm with you, every little bit helps.  I especially hate to waste the more inexpensive things - those little savings over and over really add up.  

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for responding! Heart

Super Contributor

I put each bun seperately in a zip lock sandwich bag and then put them in a LocknLock container. That way I can take out the number of buns that I need and they aren't frozen to the other buns.

Esteemed Contributor

@05gage25 wrote:

I read one time to place a paper towel underneath the buns or bread, close with the wrapper and insert into a large freezer bag with all the air forced out. It works. I have frozen them and bread like that many times. The trick is to get the paper towel spread across the whole bottom of the buns or bread. 

I've had better success individually wrapping each bun in paper towels then putting in the freezer bag.  Bread I do as you do.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@mac116 - LIke @Mz iMac, I've found success in freezing buns using the FoodSaver, but with any other method, the buns just haven't been worth using once they're thawed as they tend to have a mealy or soggy texture. I hope you find a method that works well for you!

Esteemed Contributor

I just throw mine in the freezer in the bag they come in.  I get the number I need out of the freezer the night before I need them or, if I forget, I pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to defrost.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown