Honored Contributor

Just wondering if your daughter cooks like you did when she was growing up.

We had boys.  Our older son always said "Oh Mom, you'll always do it for me"!".  Yeah!

Honored Contributor

Re: For Mothers Of Daughters

@ECBG Just a grown son who likes to cook as does my DIL. They take turns. He sometimes cooked for us!

Respected Contributor

My daughter never cooked at home but she cooks now.  She loves cooking shows and  trying new recipes.  Takes after her dad and he did all the cooking.

I can cook but I like to make simple things.  I don't want to spend all day in the kitchen. I always helped with the prepping and clean up.  I'm more of a cleaner.  

Respected Contributor

• @ECBG   Having had a girl and a boy, both of them cook like me.  My daughter more so.  In fact she cooks more like her nonna (my mom).  My daughter loves to cook and bake.  
I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

All of my kids love to cook and bake..

D8246222-B047-41F9-938A-C27F1F4E403A.jpeg

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Just wondering if your daughter cooks like you did when she was growing up.

We had boys.  Our older son always said "Oh Mom, you'll always do it for me"!".  Yeah!

No, she is a much better cook than I ever was. In fact pretty much a gourmet as she entertains a lot.

My son is an excellent cook as well. I made sure he knew how to cook the basics. He works long hours, though, so he can rely on some of the wonderful restaurants in his area that have varied cuisine.

In today's world where kids have long hours in their jobs, I wouldn't blame them if they never cooked. There are so many wonderful take out restaurants where my kids live, they don't really need to cook anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother is a fantastic cook and baker, and my two sisters and I love to cook and bake and think we do pretty well (and we still use a lot of mom's recipes).

My three brothers really can't cook or bake at all, even though they were taught a lot of the essentials when they were young. One married a wife who hates cooking, so they do a lot of dining out, takeout, and convenience food; another married a wife who likes to cook and bake and gets him to help when possible; and the third is a bachelor who couldn't care less about cooking and happily eats pizza for 75% of his meals.

It looks like those traditional gender roles are alive and well in my family!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I started married life cooking like my mom, but then ventured out to recipes she never made and/or methods that were different from hers.  Our daughter was never interested in learning to cook.  Cooking for her was boxed mac & cheese, but she had her favorites from the usual dinners I made.  I have no idea what she ate when she was single and lived away from us. Fortunately, for her, her fiancée is quite comfortable and adept in the kitchen.  They cook together so she's learned to cook more from him than anyone. 

Trusted Contributor

All my kids cook. My daughter never cooked at home but when she got out on her own she learned quick. Both of my son's cook. The older one still lives at home and cooks for us on occasion. The younger son cooks a lot. He gets home before his girlfriend so he does most of the cooking during the week.

Honored Contributor

NOPE!

But, she is an excellent "baker."  The ONLY thing she cooks is breakfast.  Let me put it this way, her child (my grandchild) knew all the different dressings that goes w/salads, sauces for meats & which color wine went w/fish & meats when ordering at a restaurant since the age of two!!!!!  NO lie.  Their lifestyle is restaurants do all the cooking.

My boys are cooks & do all the cooking in their households.  My father taught them as I grew up my father did all the cooking.  My mother did not cook.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif