Respected Contributor

Would be without my Foodsaver. My current model is 10 years old, and I've never had to replace the seals.

I also use my Foodsaver to seal the small tubs of spackle that I use infrequently. Keeps the spackle soft. 

I'm thinking about upgrading to the model with multiple sealing settings. 
Bought my first one in 2002. 

Respected Contributor

If I'm going to seal something that's juicy, I put it first in Saran Wrap.  That way, you don't have to pre-freeze before sealing it.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 

you asked the right ones for help -- posters here🙂🙂

I'd never had one (even when raising a family)  but during pandemic my freezer was full (as others)...so bought one.   I had more misses than hits sealing the bags & cutting to size.

It's definitely a "learning curve" but thanks to many here I became a expert😉

My suggestions :

• always pat dry meat before attempting to seal otherwise liquid runs into sealing bar & doesnt seal
  • I wrap in press n seal to make portion packages -- then put in fs bag & seal
  • Wasted a lot of roll (bags) on cheeses once opened I didn't have enough bag to "reseal".
  • look for roll deals this month I think Costco has a good deal but someone told me about "off brand" on A & worked fine
  • and patience😉

I no longer buy in bulk but my food saver is standing by ready if I need it🙂🙂 And I preferred the bags vs cutting the roll to size -- could never get it right🤷‍♀️🙄

Buying bulk definitely was a plus with food saver.  

Enjoy saving $$$

Esteemed Contributor

I fold a piece of paper towel and put between the meat or food and the seal.   

Leave room for it, and use it.  Even pieces of fresh chicken have enough juice to suck into the seal area and prevent a good seal.  

Label and Date everything!

Respected Contributor

Regarding using the Foodsaver for cheese, bacon, lunchmeats - anything that you might open and close several times:

I use this in addition to my full size Foodsaver. It uses a different type of bag called Freshsaver but you can open and reseal it as you use the contents. Some of the big Foodsaver have an attachment that you can use with these bags but this unit is small and it's the one I keep on the counter.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt ---very good tips!!! I do use my foodsaver and that is a problem I have, but will do your tips. 

Honored Contributor

Best advice so far is to at least par-freeze raw meats before vacuum sealing.   Aside from keeping from having fluids enter the machine, it allows the fibers to expand (with the freezing) BEFORE  you vac-seal them.  That gives a better seal than vac-sealing from unfrozen.

I've been a nut for vac-sealing for about 25 years, since I bought my first Foodsaver, the Compact II, IIRC.   

I do a lot of stuff where I measure out a specific amount to bag up, for example, because I might have a certain size of L&L I keep them in.   I do  my raw almonds in 2cup increments because I have a 2c L&L I keep some in, in the refrigerator.  The vac-sealed ones are in the freezer.   The stock I currently have is from several years ago and each time I take out a packet to transfer into L&L to keep in refrigerator I know they're still as fresh as the day I sealed them up.   

I do that with rice, brown rice, wild rice, and other dry goods.  Might as well measure them out in the increment you would be using so it's already measured and you can just expose only what you need to use to the air.   I make 1cup and 2cup bags of brown rice because sometimes I cook less than other times.   Easy to store in freezer or refrigerator because each packet takes up only a little space, rather than having a big container taking up more space.

I've vac-sealed many a package of turkey chili or split pea soup.  I freeze them in L&L of a specific size, then pop them out and into a FS bag to seal up.  That way I can just pop one out, into a pot, and heat it up when I'm so inclined.

I could go on all day, but I'll spare you.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Pooky1 - I've had a FoodSaver for years. Never had a problem with it sealing. Definitely worth the money. 

Esteemed Contributor
  • Love my Food saver but store left over lasagne in Souper Cuber ( Amazon as seen on Shark Tank).
Trusted Contributor

mine is the most used appliance in my kitchen. Yes it's good for leftovers, but,whenever I make something that freezes well I make a double recipe and freeze one.. plus I make about 6-8 quarts of spaghetti sauce ad freeze them in bags just enough for the two of us I place the bags on a cookie sheet to freeze and then place the in a metal basket I keep ion the freezer. I have fibromyalgia and on days I don't feel up to cooking much I always have a good meal to thaw ut and reheat