Honored Contributor

Re: Feedback regarding electric stovetops, please.

Thank you!

This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I need!

My forum friends never disappoint!

I wish I had time to address each one of you, because I do have some follow-up questions.

I'm starting to think that induction might be the way to go. I'm curious if they are a lot more expensive to purchase and to repair. I'll have to do some investigating about that.  

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Have induction for year now and very pleased with quick response and control. Yes, I did invest in new cookware but am getting along with fewer pieces of quality as well as lesser quality pieces.  Cleanup easy!!  I also do not like idea of gas flame. I had for two years.   By the way,  put paper towel under cast iron skillet and it won't scratch. Salesman recommended.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom 

I use my LeCreuset cookware almost exclusively. I was under the impression that it works with induction cooktops, is that correct?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat 

I believe it works with LeCruset. I have Lodge cast iron and it works beautifully.  Just use paper towel underneath and I have no concerns ma'am

Respected Contributor

Hi, housecat,

It sounds like you will be using electric, so that narrows things some.

A few years ago we had to replace our electric stove (with glass cooktop). After doing some research, I ended up getting the same type, but updated with a larger oven and faster-heating burners. And I'm very happy with that.

One of the things I decided is that I really didn't want a convection oven. May sound strange, since most high-end models have convection ovens. They are the rage right now, although that may be more about marketing than about actual customer preference.

You can read about the pros and cons of convection, but for me the cons stood out. I'm an avid baker. Convection ovens can interfere with dough rising and cakes rising. The blowing air can even make cupcakes tilt. Things can cook on the outside before the inside is done. They are noisy, and more prone to repairs. All of that added up to a No for me. (On the other hand, convection cooking is supposed to be superior for cooking meats and vegetables, and it's faster, so there's that to think about.)

Another decision is whether the coil that heats an electric oven should be exposed (traditional) or covered (newer type - it's under the oven floor). I decided to stick with the traditional type. They heat up a lot faster, and they're easier to fix or replace. But the buried/covered coil that you can't see means easier clean up and a more streamlined look. 

I chose a G.E. model. It's basic but the oven is big (larger on the inside than my last one). The glass cooktop has 2 "superburners" that heat up very fast, and 2 regular burners. I'm not a big fan of GE appliances in general, but they do know how to make stoves and ovens! Our previous one lasted 23 years.

I think induction cooktops are worth looking into. I've used one at my daughter's house. They're more expensive, and you need cookware that's magnetic (most stainless steel is). It's safe, uses less energy, heats up quickly. And they look sharp. 

Happy hunting! I hope you find something you love.

p.s. I apologize for writing a book. I get kind of passionate about kitchen equipment lol.

Honored Contributor

The first thing I ever baked was cornbread in the oven of a wood fired cook stove.   

Cooking in school and in my kitchen at home was done on an electric stove.   Both sets of grandparents were a bit longer getting an electric stove, but had them by the time I was 15.   

Our first home was a mobile home on this property and was my first experience with a gas cooktop and double ovens.   I don't remember going thru a major adjustment learning to cook with gas.  

My way of thinking was that if I could learn to cook on a cook stove, electric and gas was nothing to sweat over.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I cook like you my friend (have cleaned and baked myself out of three ovens.  

I picked a black Samsung from Best Buy!  Couldn't be happier!

20201029_211540.jpg

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream 

No need to apologize, that's the kind of information I need. Thank you.

@ECBG 

Is that electric or induction?  I'm leaning towards induction and Consumer Reports has ratings that I cannot access wtihout subscription. If anyone has a subscription and can let me know what the top five induction ranges are, according to CR, I'd be most appreciative.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Not induction.   I didn't want a learning curve.  When I cook holiday dinners, I can do it as easily as possible. 

Respected Contributor

Another fire phobe here.  I have used electric coil stove all my life.  I wouldn't want a glass top stove. One slip of the kettle and I'd crack it.  

With an electric coil you just have to take into account the heat up and cool down time.  It's not like a gas burner where when the flame it turned off the heat is off.  When you turn Electric off the coil is still hot til it cools down. Cook accordingly. Electric seems less expensive on the whole.  But remember,  If the power goes out you have no stove unless you have your own generator.