Regular Contributor

Re: Feedback regarding electric stovetops, please.

I would definitely prefer a gas stove but that is not an option.

That said, here are my thoughts:

Whatever you do, don't buy an LG stove.  It's awful and totally inaccurate with temp.  Had the repair person in my home 4 times during the first 4 months I had it.  He said LG is junk.

Also, make sure to get a self cleaning stove - not one that says it's "easy clean". There is nothing EASY about cleaning this oven!

I have no problem using my cast iron pans on the glass stove top.

I use the scrub daddy (cold water) to clean the glass top and it works beautifully.  I was surprised.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Having had both types, I'd say you'll adjust. Read the reviews because there are excellent electric stoves available. I'd never convert my home just to get a gas stove. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had a gas stove so I don't know much about them but a couple of years ago we got a GE Profile stove. It's got a glass top, no back knobs and all the buttons are touch and in the front. It's really nice. 

CA4B5ADA-AE6D-4718-937D-0117F1F845C3.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I'd go with old-fashioned coils, not a glass top, just because I think they're less demanding in terms of cleanup. Also think they're easier and cheaper to repair, and coil stoves are cheaper in the first place. I also hate the look of a plain of black glass in the kitchen; to me, it's strange and ugly. But I know I'm out of step there, and people love the sleek look.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

P.S.  Forgot that you cannot use a cast iron fry pan or any cast iron or Corning ware or any of the pyroceramic cookware on a glass-top range.  You also have to take special care if you use Le Creuset on your glass-top range.  You cannot slide such items across the glass-top range.  

@Nonametoday 

Not true.

I had a Kitchenaid Glass top electric for 21 years and ALWAYS used cast iron, LeCreu and any pots I wanted.

You just can't DROP them on it and I wouldn't recommend sliding it to avoid scratching...but you absolutely can use them...just SET them down on the burner.

@house_cat 

I just built my last home 3 years ago.  I let HGTV and my sis talk me into a 5 burner gastop.

I'll be the different opinion.....I LOATHE it.  My bad, my fault.

I am looking at replacing it with another Kitchen Aid.  Either a 5 burner radiant or 5 burner Induction cooktop.

If you really want to control the temp, Induction is the way to go.

This is the model # I want

KICU-569XSS

I have been very pleased w/ all Kitchen Aid appliances I have had (electric cooktop stoves, dishwashers, double electric ovens)

Respected Contributor

@house_cat I had gas stoves in apartments we rented for the first 8 years we were married, but inherited electric cooktops when we bought our house 37 years ago. The biggest advantage to gas is that you have greater control over the heat level. I understand that electric stoves with induction heating provide a similar level of control, but won't work with all cookware. My best friend has a dual fuel range with a gas cooktop and electric oven (in one stand-alone stove) and she loves it. She's a big baker and loves the consistent heat of the electric oven, as well as the control of the gas cooktop.

Our current electric cooktop is a white Kenmore glass cooktop (not induction). I like it much better than the electric coil cooktops we had before, but it's a bear to keep clean. As with any electric cooktop, you'll have to get used to it taking longer to lower the heat on the burners when you cook.  If you get a glass cooktop, be sure it has an indicator for burners that are still hot once you turn them off. Most folks know not to touch gas or electric coil burners, but the burners on glass cooktops look so innocent once you turn the burner off, but they can stay hot for 10 or 15 minutes. I've found that the Joe Campanella cleaning paste works well on it. I apply it with a damp sponge, then let it sit for about 10 minutes. Give it a good scrub with a scrubber-type sponge, then rinse clean. I've gotten okay results from other cleansers, but Joe's paste is much kinder to my hands. Good luck!

Valued Contributor

@hick wrote:

I would definitely prefer a gas stove but that is not an option.

That said, here are my thoughts:

Whatever you do, don't buy an LG stove.  It's awful and totally inaccurate with temp.  Had the repair person in my home 4 times during the first 4 months I had it.  He said LG is junk.

Also, make sure to get a self cleaning stove - not one that says it's "easy clean". There is nothing EASY about cleaning this oven!

I have no problem using my cast iron pans on the glass stove top.

I use the scrub daddy (cold water) to clean the glass top and it works beautifully.  I was surprised.

Good luck.

@hick ; I'm curious to know, did your LG have the blue enamel interior? If so, I agree with you, that is a complete joke! There is nothing about it that makes cleaning any easier!

Esteemed Contributor

My son cooks.  He has a glass topped electric stove but it holds his induction burners!!!

He uses them because they heat faster and cool quicker; like gas!

Super Contributor

Had an induction cooktop installed to replace an old electric cooktop. One giant perk of the induction over the glass electric cooktop is that there are no burnt spillovers. Just wipe down, no scrubbing !! On the downside you may need to replace your cookware. 

Valued Contributor

@MildredM wrote:

Had an induction cooktop installed to replace an old electric cooktop. One giant perk of the induction over the glass electric cooktop is that there are no burnt spillovers. Just wipe down, no scrubbing !! On the downside you may need to replace your cookware. 

I have an induction cooktop too.  I have had both gas and electric in the past and would not go back to either.