Honored Contributor

Re: Family of 4 - hearty eaters best product : Instant pot or crockpot ?

@kittyloo: Wow to think you cared, went to a lot of trouble plus spending money and people were so rude. If someone was really hungry they would not do that. I helped a family when I was single and on a strict budget. I prepared a big meatloaf with large pot of mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on cob. The lady told me they eat healthy. I turned around to leave with the food and the husband grabbed everything stated he would enjoy it. Growing up a lot of our meals were large pots of pinto beans, navy beans, large pan of cornbread. Loved when Mother would make baked beans and serve them with corn bread. Never went to bed hungry. Breakfast would be a large pot of oatmeal. I was told that kids today refuse to eat stuff like that- must not be hungry. Southern Bee 

Trusted Contributor

@SouthernBee  If you need a good cookbook try Taste of Home.

I have found many of their recipes are easy and very good.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2: Great ideas. I was thinking about a pot of chili and include paper bowls plus add on items like grated cheese, crackers, hot dogs and buns. I make a very simple and basic chili. Whenever I took my chili to church functions they would use it for hot dogs and nachos. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

This reminds me of how many people I know that argue that eating out is cheaper.  No way.    Also, I have known some people that have received food baskets at Christmas, etc. and complained, "I don't eat that".   Like the other poster who said the people complained about the brands.  

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

totally understand the delimma. i once many years ago, was helping out a family. they were really strapped for money.  went to the store bought like 4 bags of groceries. chicken, hot dogs, lots of stuff.  come to find out they were "picky" about the brands of ketchup, hot dogs, pasta, you name it. wife had no idea how to cut a chicken up.

i'll just say, i was dismayed to find out, that this family (yup relatives) who was having a hard time feeding their children, were wrinkling their noses as they took the items out of the bags, as they were not the brands they would have chose.  eeeeew! you bought del monte catsup?? we only eat heinz. and so on.  

I'm so sorry to hear this.  My daughter had some problems when she was first married, her husband lost his job and they would get food boxes from a nearby church.  It was $30 for the box.  It lasted for the month and had all different kinds of food.  She never complained and neither did her stupid husband.  I started buying them for her every month.  It hurt me so much to see that happen, but she was very humble and greatful.  He finally found a job later.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe: I have the Cuisinart PC but interested in the IP but running out of storage space for my kitchen toys. I have two crockpots but basically use them to keep food hot for holiday meals. The Cuisinart PC top has become difficult to lock in place but I use it twice a week but wondering if I would use the IP more. I still need to purchase a few more Christmas gifts. I told DH that I wanted a set of ceramic cookware as my gift. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh: Great cookbooks and could probably find some at the thrift stores. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee I am just not a fan of crockpots.  I really tried to like them but they are just not for me.  I enjoyed PC cooking from the first try but really enjoyed it after purchasing my IP.  I fully understand kitchen space as I recently downsized but for me the quality of the food that comes out of an IP is just so superior to other methods plus it has the slow cooker option.  Just something to think about especially now since so many places are running such great sales on them . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

Suggestions appreciated for appliance size and best cookbook for everyday meals. Family needs help for meal prep instead of drive thru fast food. Thanks. Southern Bee 

@SouthernBee Wonderful but make sure they want and will accept and use the help.  From experience.  If they want drive through fast food, that's probably what they will eat. 

Honored Contributor

Laura Weathers book 'Simply Desserts'

good book