Honored Contributor

Re: Family of 4 - hearty eaters best product : Instant pot or crockpot ?

@Sooner- Totally agree and trying to explain that to DH. They probably prefer a money gift instead. I tried to help a family once and later learned the lady really wanted cash to get her hair curled at the salon, I had asked for their utility bill so I could go pay it at the utility company. I don’t mind helping anyone that truly appreciates the help. Some people you can’t help and they refuse to change. This can really become an issue between family, friends and neighbors. Currently dealing with a friend that constantly complains about money issues and bills being behind yet she has not cut back on going out to eat, parties . In the last 6 months she has purchased  6 designer purses at the thrift store and brags about the savings. I told her if she was so bad off financially that was unnecessary spending and told her: look at me- my bills are caught up and paid plus only purchased one purse this year and paid only $20.

Please forgive me- just needed to vent. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE: Wonderful book and made the purchase because of your post about it. Any new red appliances? Thought about you this week when shopping and noticed the red IP. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

already got it. LOL  took issue with Instant Pot saying whole 3 lb chicken cooked in 20 minutes. Nope, to raw for me. In my old non IP I used to cook a small chicken just for chicken salad or chick  &dumplings for 60.

I compromised and cook in IP for 30-35 don't want no red juices. LOL

Want that baby cooked.

Learning curve......

Honored Contributor

I am finding as time goes on that the best cooking gadget I have is a stove.  I could easily give up the air fryer, pressure cooker, etc.  Of course that won't stop me from trying new things as they are developed.  

Honored Contributor

@SharkE: Love new kitchen toys but the down size is the learning curve. I am very interested in the IP but will probably wait until after the new year to get one. Very tempting with the current deals but dealing with Christmas purchases. Enjoy your new IP and please keep us posted on your adventures with it. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@depglass: I understand. I finally purchased the air fryer and enjoy the few times that I use it ,but I have it on a cart to move into the kitchen and now wondering if it is any real benefit considering the amount of counter space it takes up. I will really need to evaluate purchasing any thing in the future because getting tired of moving items back and forth. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee  I have the CE 5.3 air fryer which I purchased at Significant Other's request.  Used it a few times but it was too small for our needs and took up too much room.  He agreed, so it is packed and stored.  Will probably attempt to donate it soon.  I'm sure someone will love it, just wasn't for me.

Got the Oster XL French door digital which I've posted about here before.  Much better purchase and is used several times each day.  It does take up a lot of my counter space but is so worth it and saves considerably on my electric bill, and doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer like my electric oven would.  

Have used all the features and no complaints, plus it holds full size vessels and pizza.  Just need to be aware of exterior dimensions--depth and width when opening the one touch spring handles--to be sure it will be accomodated by wherever it will be placed.

So nice of you to try to help the family doing fast food exclusively.  Hope they will appreciate it. 

Honored Contributor

Frustrated and sad: I made a pot of vegetable beef soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Modified my mother’s recipe and made a copy. Sauté together ground chuck and chopped onions. Cook until ground chuck cooked. Rinse. Add: large can of tomato sauce and can of diced tomatoes. Add drained cans of- carrots, small green peas and diced  or sliced potatoes and can of cream corn. Season according to taste and simmer for 30 minutes. Mothers original recipe used potatoes, corn, carrots  that had to be cleaned, pealed and cut up.

Kids were excited about the grilled cheese sandwiches but looked at the pot of soup. Sad because for us that pot of soup could have been frozen for an emergency meal when busy with doctor appointments and no time to cook. I did the right thing trying to help but will think twice before trying to help again. Some people must not understand what it is like to be really hungry. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435- Enjoy the Oster XL oven. Wish I had the counter space. Southern Bee 

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Mary Bailey: DH saw a commercial and wants this. I told him it was expensive and heavy considering our counter space. I need to help you decide: Family of 2 deserves special meals that are quick and easy to prepare. Meals that are quick and easy will help you cook more. Southern Bee 

@SouthernBee   good points!

I'm in the same boat as you as far as counter space & thinking it's expensive.