Honored Contributor

Re: Fall Dessert Preference, Apple or Pumpkin?

[ Edited ]

I don't eat anything with apples anymore so it’s pumpkin for me as long as it’s a recipe I can make.

Honored Contributor

I do like both of these, but that doesn't include the pumpkin-spice whatever that's out there every year.   More power to 'em, but it just doesn't interest me.

One thing I'm still enjoying is the Opal apple.   These are a very short season apple.   To me they taste like the combination of a very nice pear and an apple.  There is just that bit of snap to the skin, and the exact right amount of sweet.  I wish they had a longer season.

The apples that I ALWAYS have on hand, however, are Galas.   I've tried so many and those are just the best of all the long-season apples for sure.

With pumpkin, I have a recipe for a bundt cake that I like and a pumpkin bread.   Haven't made them for a few years, though, since I started having more physical problems.   I liked serving the bundt cake with a nice vanilla bean ice cream.   Don't much care for regular vanilla ice cream and definitely not French vanilla.  But vanilla bean is just delightful.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt  I am with you on the ever growing list of pumpkin spice foods.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Some of that stuff is trult awful.

My only concession to the pumpkin spice craze is one container of pumpkin cream cheese spread per year. I like it on English Muffins or a bagel.  After that one small container is gone I'm good for another year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I LOVE apple pie, but only if the apples are cooked through.  Hard to find today and you certainly can't buy it.

I love a deep dish pumpkin pie.  I use Pet Ritz pie crusts.

Also, I quit making pie crust when Pet Ritz offered just the pastry in the dairy case.  

I did teach pie making in my Adv Foods classes as part of the fruit lab.

Honored Contributor

Only apple, period.  

Never been fond of pumpkin.   In school, I would wrap my slice of pumpkin pie in napkins and take it home to my mom.   My family loves pumpkin pie and I do make it for them, but it's the one dessert I'm not tempted by.   

Esteemed Contributor

apple...i don't like anything pumpkin!

Respected Contributor

AppleWoman Happy

Frequent Contributor

pumpkin!!!!!!  I love it and even freeze it to eat during the summer.  For pumpkin desserts just what you described pumpkin custard and pumpkin bars.  But also plenty of roasted cubes and purée. Plus with the purée I top it with nutmeg, cloves or cinnamon and it is a good sub for the pie and kind to my waistline. 

But...a baked apple with walnuts and brown sugar is a good second 😏 

Respected Contributor

Apple now, Squash not pumpkin when it get close to the holidays.  Squash is much the same as pumpkin but has a milder warmer flavour. Less Bold than pumpkin.  Cluld be a New England thing but I was raised on Squash pie.

Esteemed Contributor

Apple all the way!!!!! 🥰