Honored Contributor

Ever Make Leftovers On Purpose???

Some items are made in a large batch to freeze like spaghetti sauce, homemade vegetable soup, Weight Watchers soup for when I'm home.

A 14 1/2 oz can of salmon gives me 4 patties, and some roasts give me leftovers.

I also do leftovers with cube steak, onions, and green pepper, and meatloaf done in mushroom gravy.

Since DH can't eat a lot of beef, and I have loved it since a child sometimes I'll make more.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ever Make Leftovers On Purpose???

I'm lazy and don't like to cook so I NEVER cook just one meal.  I make enough so I don't have to do it again for at least 4 days, maybe longer.  If I get sick of what I make, I freeze it.   I like simple dishes that take minimal effort, usually involving chicken. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I don't try to make leftovers anymore since DH is retired. He  used to take leftovers to work, and loved them.

I work until 6:30pm DH usually goes to bed way before I get off.

So I cook first thing in the morning (a lunch or dinner meal)  for him to eat right away)

I don't like him having a left-over (reheated) meal If I can help it. (stories of his childhood meals are not pretty)

Soups, chili & stews are different.  Taste better the next day & beyond

I don't mind leftovers.  I can eat taco salad for a week easy.

Honored Contributor

I can never make just a little of anything, I've tried. However, this works for us because there is always something in the freezer for dinner. 🍝🥘🍲

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

We do.  Sometimes eat for lunch or next night.  Don't cook every night and just the two of us.  We aren't always on the same page either.  Tonight I had chicken and he had tacos.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  Before I retired - on Sundays I'd cook enough for a few days so I didn't have to cook and clean up every night.

Now - I'll cook more often - but stll make enough for a day or two - or at least leftovers for the next day's lunch.  

I like to make pots of chili or stew - enough for a few days.  

"Dump dinners" (put a bunch of stuff in the slow cooker) are another fave.  I find interesting combinations Allrecipes dot com.

Esteemed Contributor

Since my son moved out & got married I don't fuss over big dinners anymore. When I cook I make sure there's leftovers for another dinner or two . When we do takeout we buy a little extra for leftovers as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't eat what my husband eats as far as meat, poultry, fish, etc.  

So making just one serving of something is just a waste of time (and wasteful of energy).

Today's example is, I made 6 large pork chops along with 2 baked potatoes for him in a large toaster oven we bring out on our downstairs patio. 

I never heat up the kitchen using our oven in the summer, all cooking/baking is done outside.

He doesn't mind eating 2 same meals 2 days in a row and I can freeze the rest now they are cooked and there's more easy meals to take out of the freezer.

I don't like microwaves and didn't have one installed when we built, so the meat and potato for tomorrow can be heated up in a smaller toaster oven in our kitchen.

I make huge batches of chili, spaghetti sauce, soups or roast a chicken or chicken pieces and freeze them, too, after he's had it for a meal or two.

In the winter, when I don't care so much about the house getting warm from the oven, I make several things at once in the oven.  Maybe a few chops, some chicken breasts and a potato or two.  I'll freeze in glass dishes and it's so easy to pull out and heat up when needed.

Honored Contributor

As often as possible!  Yesterday I made a huge pot of chili. DH and I had it for dinner and there was still A LOT left over.  My son and DIL were here today and the four of us gobbled up the leftovers. 

If I'm making breaded chicken cutlets, I always make enough for chicken Parm later in the week.

If I broil salmon, I make an extra portion to add to salad another night.

DH doesn't care for leftovers, but if I make them just a little different, he's totally clueless.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  I'm only cooking for two, unless we have company. Many of my recipes make four servings, so when I choose to make one I'm counting on leftovers for another night.   Easy workload snd I'm always happy to enjoy them a second time.