Respected Contributor

Cleaning my Coffee Pot

[ Edited ]

So I ran 4 cups vinegar and 8 cups water.  I'm about to run water through 2 more times and clean the baskets and carafe.

I don't like the oils on the top of my cup of coffee in the morning.

How do you do it?

Esteemed Contributor

same way you're doing it.....

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling ..................It has been my experience that the "oil slick" on coffee is not from a dirty coffee maker, but from your water.  Try using bottled water and see if that doesnt eliminate the problem.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I always use bottled water mainly because I saw the list of chemicals in the city water.  No oily film on top. 

Esteemed Contributor

maybe the oil you see is the oil contained in the coffee....

Honored Contributor

Coffee beans have oil in them. The longer they get roasted the more oil comes out of them so the darker roasts will have more oil.

Respected Contributor

So I'm on my 2nd batch of cold water flowing through.

Didn't see much of anything coming out but I'll get everything cleaned good.

I will use bottled water tomorrow and see if all the oils are gone.  I love my coffee in the morning.

Thanks for the help!

Honored Contributor

My coffee maker is a Mr. Coffee. It's the kind which uses regular paper filters. When I fill the thing with water I always use a clean water pitcher to fill it. I never use the carafe to fill the reservoir. Same goes for adding vinegar and rinse water. I use a clean pitcher for that, too. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning my Coffee Pot

[ Edited ]

I  fill coffee maker with just white vinegar and I brew it with just vinegar. Then I brew just water 2 times to 

Rinse it out. I let vinegar sit in coffee maker for 30 minutes then I let it brew. I had read that it's good to let vinegar sit in there it helps clean it out better. I always use Britta filtered water to make coffee. Like 5 years ago.my coffee was sometimes had a matalic taste and smell. I bought new coffee. A new coffee maker. I started thinking  I getting stupid and u can't make coffee anymore. My wife said maybe its the water. I told her how could it be the water. It only happens sometimes. So I bought a Britta water pitcher .and its been 5 years and we haven't had scrappy tasting water any more.