Honored Contributor

IGA egg prices have doubled, but for the first time this year, the case was fully stocked.   Egg prices are usually lower at Easter.   

Respected Contributor

Normally here our eggs go on sale prior to Easter. The egg prices in SW PA have really risen and there are shortages in many stores.  Honestly, I think there is some price gouging going on as prices have more than doubled.   Even those who have chickens have now priced their eggs at market value.

Respected Contributor

@Miss Pepsi   My experience is that, in normal times, supermarkets feature eggs as a loss leader. i.e. bargain price, to get you into the store to purchase other things.

In Connecticut (and throughout New England) the preference is brown eggs, except at Easter time, when folks want the white eggs so that they can dye them.

Here in DC I can find both types and so far, they have been able to restock, and prices have remained stable.

aroc3435

Trusted Contributor

Large eggs were 54 cents a dozen this morning at my Walmart.

Honored Contributor

Lots of folks having trouble finding them, I haven't. I got mine week or so ago and had extra dozen in refrigerator.  Other stuff that has been hard to find is loosening up right now too.

Once those Easter egg hunts get going churches and other places will be buying more then the hens can lay. I'd better start looking Monday.

Honored Contributor

If eggs were 50 cents each that is $6 a dozen. What on earth can you get to eat for 50 cents that gives you that much food?  

Power bars are like $1.25 each aren't they?  So that's SIX eggs for the same price as 2 power bars.  Even at $6 a dozen.  Woman Very Happy  Just something to think about! 

Honored Contributor

I live in a garden/farming state.  No price increase in eggs.  If anything, the prices have decreased in the supermarkets in competition w/Produce Junction during these trying times.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

All stores around here in MD have all been out of eggs this week. I was able to find a bag of hard ard boiled eggs at Wegmans yesterday but that is it.

Trusted Contributor

I thought egg prices went up at Easter, clearly I pay no attention so if I gave wrong info I apologize.  Just asked hubby who does the shopping and he said our prices are about normal.

Valued Contributor

I buy my eggs from a trusted friend with chickens.  $1.00 a dozen when they are plentiful and $1.50 when they are not laying as well.  Large, brown, yummy eggs.