Occasional Contributor

ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER QUESTION

About five or more years ago, I bought a cooks essential oval electric pressure cooker from QVC.   I LOVED that thing.  Well I accidently burned the bottom of it, while it was resting on my stove top and the burner accidently got turned on, and it melted the wires inside.  Now I am trying to find one that is comparable and not sure what to get.  The one I had, had a browning, steaming, slow cooker, and I'm not sure what other functions it had, but it did quite a few things other than just pressure cooking.  It also had delayed timer you could program.  Does anyone else have this pressure cooker and know if I could find it somewhere or something comparable?

Respected Contributor

Re: ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER QUESTION

[ Edited ]

Was that the talking one?  I have the oval talking one and only used it once or twice.  The talking was so annoying and I had trouble getting the lid on.  I should have sent it back!  I still have it.  Too bad you weren't closer, I'd give you mine!

P.S.  If you are going to buy a new one, consider getting an Instant Pot.  Those are awesome.  I have two!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also have that oval talking one. Wish it did not talk it's so annoying. You have to put your finger over the sound so you can understand what she's saying. 

So many people returned that pressure cooker because they had problems. We have not had any problems with it. I also have the Cuisinart 6 qt.

I used to have the large heavy duty 8 qt oval pressure cooker Q sold years ago. 

Someone on Ebay also set there PC on the stove & melted the bottom of theirs. I bought it so DH could switch out a circut board from it to mine. It worked for quite a while before finally dying again.

If you can wait until Black Friday or Cyber Mondy to buy one I would wait until than since you will be able to find a good deal.

Q will have the new Instant Pot Viva Pressure Cooker as the TSV on the 16th of Sept. Don't know price yet?

Occasional Contributor

No, mine wasn't a talking one, that would definitely be annoying!   LOL  That is what I am now seeing is, the insta pot and was wondering how they compare.  I did read some of the testimonies on them and some of them can only be set through the programable buttons, as to what you are cooking and you can't set them for the time that you would like to, if that makes sense how I tried to explain.  I will keep watching for everyones input!

Respected Contributor

@Brenda628 wrote:

No, mine wasn't a talking one, that would definitely be annoying!   LOL  That is what I am now seeing is, the insta pot and was wondering how they compare.  I did read some of the testimonies on them and some of them can only be set through the programable buttons, as to what you are cooking and you can't set them for the time that you would like to, if that makes sense how I tried to explain.  I will keep watching for everyones input!

The part in green writing that I changed is not true.  Whoever posted that doesn't know how to run theirs.  It has suggested times, but you can add or subtract to that time.  For instance, mine has a boiled egg setting and I think the default was 5 minutes.  I PC mine for 6 minutes.  So I just added a minute.  Now my default is 6 minutes when I push the egg button.

I love mine!  They are the best!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

All pressure cookers work similarly.  The Instant Pot is just a brand of PC; probably the best known brand but just a brand nonetheless.  There are many good brands out there...Cosori, Cuisinart, Breville, Mealthy, F-a-gor etc.  I have a Mealthy.  Read about it on Amazon.  It has 4.8 out of 5 stars and is a great machine with lots of features and customer service like you would not believe.  

Honored Contributor

I have two pressure cookers. 

4 qt CE which I love

6 qt Instant Pot I bought at Macy’s one day super sale. I admit I haven’t used it yet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brenda628 In the past I have had an oval Cooke Essential cooker (which I never liked); a Cuisinart, highly rated but always hard to get the lid on properly; and a ******or multi cooker, ok but still harder to get the lid on and properly seated.  I have had a Fissler stovetop (love) and another stovetop--also highly rated but sort of a pain to use.

NOTHING compares to the Instant Pot.  It is the easiest to deal with and the most accurate I've had.  Love it!  We have a 3 qt. and a 6 at.  By far the best PC I've ever used.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Crock-Pot makes multi-cookers that pressure cook, brown, sauté, slow cook, and steam. They come in 4, 6, and 8 quart sizes. They're round like most others, not oval. I currently have a 6 quart West Bend pressure cooker that also multi-cooks. I'm happy with it, but if I ever have to buy a new one, I might try either the Crock-Pot or Instant Pot.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for that info Mima, I am glad to know that I do have the option to make it whatever minutes I choose!