Respected Contributor

Le Cruset and Fiesta Ware Dutch ovens are too heavy for me when they are filled. Does anyone have a lighter weight alternative?

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Texasmouse    No well-equipped kitchen should be without a Dutch oven due to its versatility.  It is not, however, necessary to spend a small fortune on a big, heavy LeCruset pot.  A lighter weight type that comes with sets of pans will do the same thing just fine.  Many women pitch the big, heavy pots as they age simply because the pan plus its contents are just too heavy to lift.

That's how I feel.  I don't think the expensive heavy pots make the food taste any better than my $30 supermarket dutch oven.

Respected Contributor

@On It I'd like to know this too. Like what types/brands are good lightweight options. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Zhills thanks! But, is it BETTER than a crockpot? Because my crockpot won't heat up the whole kitchen and is more economical to run than my oven.

I seldom use mine in the oven...always on the stovetop!

Esteemed Contributor

@On It wrote:

Le Cruset and Fiesta Ware Dutch ovens are too heavy for me when they are filled. Does anyone have a lighter weight alternative?

Look for one that is Cast Aluminum!  Works great!

Honored Contributor

I don't use a Dutch oven because of the weight when they're full.  My empty crock pot is easier to handle.

If I did have a similar need, it would be a stainless roaster with a lid.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse I just bought one from HSN. I use mine to bake bread.

Respected Contributor

The Instant Pot electric Dutch Oven is the best of both worlds.  The pot is also removable for use on stove top or oven.  It has a bit of a learning curve with the temp options it offers and there is a Facebook group for questions, ideas, or to follow along and learn.  Any slow cook or D.O. recipe will work in it.  I've only tried using it twice and over-did the "braise" once, without paying enough attention to the amout of liquid but like I said, a learning curve.. It sears, sautes, braises, slow cooks at precision temps. Good sale prices can be had now and then.

Respected Contributor

I rarely use my Dutch Oven....it's a LeCruset that I got with credit card points.  I simply do not like the shape of it. I prefer an shaped oval pan....a braiser?  

I have other enameled cast iron pans that I use all the time. I love starting things on the stove and then slow cooking them in the oven.  To me it's better than the slow cooker as I can tilt or remove the lid to cook juices/gravies down. 

My most recent ebay purchase was 

Capture.GIF

Respected Contributor

I have 3 dutch ovens. 1 large Le Creuset brand. A campfire cast iron one, and just received a smaller Staub dutch oven for Christmas.  As stated by all the posters before me they are very versatile, can use them for many different types of cooking, baking. I'll add one more. I use the large one for canning. Jams, jellies, sauces,etc.  Yes, they are a bit heavy. Doesn't bother me.  I can still lift them and will continue to do so until I can no longer. Mid 60's now, long way to go.