Trusted Contributor

A 48 ounce bottle of Campbell's tomato juice rolled out of my shopping bag onto the floor of my car. I didn't see it, forgot about it, and it sat in this insane heat for two days.

I called Campbell's to ask if it's OK to drink. 

C: Was it an open or closed bottle?

Me:  Closed -- I just bought it.

C: What is the product code?

Me: I don't have it right here. It's the 48 ounce plastic bottle of Campbell's tomato juice.

C: We have many products. I can't answer that question without the product code.

Me: What if I ask "Is it OK to drink tomato juice that's been sitting in a hot car for two days?"

C: I can't answer that.

Me: Can you ask someone? 

C: Not without a product code.

I don't care that the fault lies with how their computer systems work. This is an example of the dumbed down, avoid litigation at any cost nature of our society. This was not an overseas call center. The question was simple, yet important.

So, should I drink it or toss it? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Drink it or throw it out?

[ Edited ]

Toss it ,not worth the chance.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I'd drink it without a second thought.  Do you think the big, hot warehouses where they store this stuff are comfortably air conditioned?  No, they're hotter than Hades as are the big trucks that deliver the product.

Bottoms up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I'm really not surprised they wouldn't answer a general question like that.  With so many products & varieties they are probably just trained to pull the info up by product code. But they could have also tried to look it up.

Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't be afraid to drink it because tomatoes  🍅 have a very high acidic content.....

Honored Contributor

I see this a lot here and I always wonder what people are worried about when they ask these questions:  

Oh heck just drink it and take a chance of being sick.  I mean it might have been what $3.50 or so? I don't even know what the loss of money could be.

And maybe I won't get sick and won't have wasted the money.

What else in the groceries you bought did you basically waste that amount of money on?  Cookies?  Ice cream, chips?  And what do we know about things like this?  I sure wouldn't have an answer!!!!!  Be safe, if you are worried is it worth the worry?  If it is an expensive steak, sit and cry awhile.  I would!  Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Knit-Chick How many times do you think they get that question?  

Person could be a switchboard operator - I don't blame that person for not

sticking her neck out.........throw it  out - not worth the fuss.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Knit-Chick wrote:

I'm really not surprised they wouldn't answer a general question like that.  With so many products & varieties they are probably just trained to pull the info up by product code. But they could have also tried to look it up.

Sounds like a good business plan. They might want to know when it was produced. Tomato has acid so it can last longer because acid is a preservative. If it was recently produced it may be able to withstand less than ideal conditions. 

And they probably want to know the product code because of all the information it contains. If they would tell you that it was OK to drink. And you drank it and became sick. And you report it. The Campbells's Soup company has all the information for the investigation. They can tract if there are other complaints or people getting sick from that batch.

Have you ever seen the tags for seafood? All the information that has to be posted. Companies that are dealing with food have to be so careful.

PS - just looked at my bottle of V-8 (another Campbell's tomato juice). It has expiration date: then a 5 digit #; 2 letters; 4 letters; and 4 digits. All those letters and digits are important information for the company. So before giving out answers to questions they would like as much information as possible.

Respected Contributor

That would be a tough question for a lay person to answer.  I think it would take a scientist to answer re the hot car, etc.

If I'm not sure re food items, I throw them out.  Not worth it to worry about it. 

Valued Contributor

Don't forget food products are stored in non airconditioned warehouses and transported in non airconditioned tractor trailers.  They see high temps all the time.