Honored Contributor

Re: Does This Seem Like A Lot Of Lemon?

I make a lemon yogurt sheet cake that uses about the same amounts of lemon minus the extract.  I love a glazed lemon cake.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Sounds about right.  Anything less would barely make it taste lemony.  !/4th of a cup is not that much.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 - If you omit the extract, which I always recommend if you want a really true, smooth lemon taste, I'd say the 1/4 C of juice and zest seem well proportioned—most of the flavor is going to come from the zest. And definitely don't omit any lemon juice or zest from the glaze; that's what is likely to hit your taste buds first and bring home the lemon flavor.

And now I really need to go make something lemony . . .  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 What is the size of the finished cake?

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

I love lemon, and I usually have lemons, and lemon extract in the house. 

If I was cutting anything in that recipe, it would be the zest. That sounds like a lot to me. Also, zest can sometmes be gritty or bitter in baking. I use it sparingly.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I just read a recipe for a Lemon Velvet Sheet Cake on Allrecipes.com.

It called for 1/4 lemon juice, 1 teaspoon lemon extract and 1/4 packed lemon zest. in the cake.

Plus there is lemon in the glaze.

I love lemon, but holy cat, that seems like a lot of lemon in the cake, especially the lemon zest.

It is just me?  Your thoughts.

Shoekitt said.  I made a lemon cake last yea for my lemon lover friend.  I used  1/2 cup juice and a lot of zest...i am trying to remember but I think it was zest from 3 lemons  the zest was way too much.  I think it makes it bitter   I think the zest of one  lemon is fine for me.  I would use the juice, an cut zest to half.   Jmho

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2    1/4 what?  There's no unit of measurement.  Am I the only one who noticed?

@Kachina624  .... I noticed that also but, I assumed it was a 1/4 cup of lemon juice ... Maybe I assumed incorrectly? ..... regardless I think there is too much lemon in the recipe 😃

Esteemed Contributor

My recipe for lemon curd calls for 1/4 cup juice and the zest of one lemon.  That zest is really a lot for me even for a savory.  That seems like a lot for a cake, it can get a little bitter.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  It calls for a 9x13x2 pan. It must be one heck of a moist cake.  It calls for 3/4 olive oil, 2 eggs plus 2 yolks, and 1 cup of creme fraiche.