Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Use A Butter Bell?

I've been a HUGE fan of the butter boat since I bought it here on Q!

Thanks to @denisemb  for mentioning that they're back on Q (they were gone for years), I'm ordering a spare, just in case!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I just read that you are not supposed to keep butter out on the  counter. Overnight it's alright. But any longer  it will get  rancid after a few days.  You won't get sick  may have a tummy ache but the taste may not be very good.

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama 

Not with a Butter Boat, I've used mine for 20 years!

I live in the hot, humid south, SE coastal GA, and I have never, ever had an issue with using real butter in my butter boat, it doesn't go rancid, no change in taste, etc.

I assume it's the cooling effect of the water in the bowl below, but I'm not a scientist, I just know it's worked for me for many years, with no spoilage whatsoever.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use one like @denisemb  posted. It has Kerry Gold butter in it on the counter all the time. 

I have read the butter falls out of the butter bell in the water. Makes sense.

Honored Contributor

The only time I had butter fall out of my butter bell was when I put butter into one that had been in the refrigerator.  I think I had put it in there when we were going to be out of town for a week.

I was thinking the reason it doesn't go rancid was because the water keeps it from exposure to air. 

Super Contributor

I use a Fiestaware Butter Dish to keep my butter fresh.  Have done this for years with no problems at all.  I 'house' it in my kitchen cabinet.  

Trusted Contributor

I use a Butter Boat that I got from the Q many years ago.  I love it.  I keep it out on the counter all the time with no problem.  

I've also seen them in the past at Bed, Bath & Beyond. 

Respected Contributor

I also use the butter boat not the bell for yrs also, it holds a stick of butter and love it. I think I use less butter when it is soft.