Occasional Contributor

Was Lock & Lock always BPA free since Q sold it?

My husband installed a cupboard style pantry and I'm moving some things into it now.  One is my L&L, but some are older bowls that I like but forgot about because it was hidden behind other items in my bottom cupboards. 

If it wasn't always BPA free, is there a way you can tell by one of the codes on back of the items?  

Honored Contributor

@heirloomSomeone else will have to answer your LnL question, but yesterday because I had an ant invasion in a cabinet I had to remove everything and clean .  Total yuck!

The reason I mention this is that as I moved all the plastic containers, I got to wondering about their safety -  these were not Ln and they're old.  I Googled and read the Mayo Clinic guidelines as well as the CDC discussion.   

And then I washed everything and put back most of it.. I'd already decided some years ago never to heat food in plastic or to use it to store acidic foods such as tomato sauce and there was nothing new in the research to make me toss more plastic into the landfill.

Esteemed Contributor

@heirloom - I am not sure if they were always BPA free, but my sets as far back as 2010 have been listed as BPA free.

Honored Contributor

The regular line of L&L has always been BPA-free. It's made of polypropylene, which is free of that chemical.

The only L&L products that contained BPA were their now-discontinued (years ago) few items that were a bit more sturdy and see-through, more expensive. Made from polycarbonate, which contains BPA.

When they discontinued that line, they substituted it with a plastic that is similar but BPA-free. It's trademark name is Tritan. Also more expensive than regular L&L.

So if you've always bought the regular L&L. which is predominantly what they sell, you are fine.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Look on the bottom for the code.  Not sure when that actually started, if it is missing may want to toss anyway.