Honored Contributor

Re: Do you go through cooking phases?

@sabatini wrote:

The thing is, I just get a thought, like 'I wonder how you...' and run w/ it, even though I've no idea what I'm doing, but it's fun to try!

How about you?

@sabatini

Yes! This happens to me all the time! One of my most memorable phases was the homemade potato knish phase - it turns out some things are soooooo much easier to buy than to make.

I go through bread baking phases regularly - DH loves those phases, but they only occur when I'm on summer break and have the time.

I have my grandmother's pasta machine, the kind you clamp onto the table. I'm looking forward to having the time to go through a homemade pasta phase, but so far that hasn't happened.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Wow, @homedecor1, you've been on a cooking SPREE! Smiley LOL That's awesome!

@Daysdee, you made an Asian dish twice in one week. I'd call that  the beginning of a phase! Smiley Very Happy

Funny, @house_cat, but I was actually counting on you to weigh in, because I know how you get with all your cooking too.

I could definitely relate to your homemade potato knish phase! They're something I didn't get around to making back when I went through the 'something stuffed with something' phase.

That's when I made the wontons, potstickers, raviolis and empanadas. LOL!

When I was in that mode, I looked up various stuffed things, and came across a tiny Turkish stuffed dumpling/ravioli called "Manti".

It was said that a betrothed girl had to serve her own homemade manti to her future MIL, and they had to be perfect, as well as tiny; the tinier the manti, the more special she was. 

We're talking - you should be able to fit 40 on a spoon!

Good Lord.  Smiley Wink

manti.jpg

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini

OMGosh!  That's such a painstaking task!  I don't have the patience for that, but it's intriguing.

Speaking of painstaking - I forgot to mention the petit fours phase I went through this past summer. The results were excellent, but I simply cannot resist them and decided I would stay away from them until my next tea party this coming summer.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I was dangerously close to a Japanese rice noodle phase, but I could tell that DH didn't want a steady diet of them as part of his supper - we're back to potatoes/rice/pasta with the rice noodles mixed in, intermittently.  

I like how easy the rice noodles are to cook in a soup or sauce, and I enjoy the texture.  In moderation, I guess!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@house_cat, petit fours?! Wow, hats off! I can't imagine...

As I said before, I'm just not a baker, and prefer other things because I'm more laissez faire. I actually remember the pic you posted of your petit four experiment!

@Sweetbay magnolia, rice noodles are definitely prime for a phase! Smiley LOL I love them too.

The one noodle my kids loathed when I made 'em, were cellophane noodles which I adore!

They called them rubber bands.

Muddling through...