Super Contributor

Do you find your immersion blender to be an indispensable tool?

My son gave me a gift card for MD and I'm debating if I will use an immersion blender enough to make it a worthwhile purchase.

How do you use yours? Do you think it is worth the money it cost and the space it takes to store it?

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you find your immersion blender to be an indispensable tool?

I use it often - indispensable may be too strong of a word. I use it for soup and to emulsify salad dressing. Occasionally I use it to makes sauces instead of getting the blender dirty.

Super Contributor

We used commercial inversion blender 50 years ago in the restaurant. Got hooked on it fast.

Brought a household version Bamix back from Switzerland two years later. I've had it for 48 years. It got used a LOT. DH had to take it apart many times after the first 30 years. Replaced bushings, etc. It has two speeds, but isn't near as powerful as more recent ones.

I use the immersion blender ALL the time. It's my 'go-to' for everything from making milkshakes (our soda fountain milkshake makers from the 1920s finally quit), to beating eggs, batters, pureeing soups and the like. It's the easiest thing to use to make mayonnaise, hollandaise, etc. You mix the mayo right in the container you plan to store in.

Doesn't take up space at all. Footprint of the stand is 2" X 2½".

The Bamix came with several blades, including one to use to chop meat for ham or chicken salad, one that reduces ice to slush, one that whips air into eggs, etc.

Because the Bamix had seen better days and did have a short cord, last year, I picked up the Cuisinart one on sale at Williams Sonoma Outlet for $20. It came with a number of attachments, but I use it most as an immersion blender. Cuisinart is way more powerful, but I think I may just get an new Bamix. It worked without problems for 30 years. We just plum wore it out.

I rarely ever used the containers that came with the original one. Prefer to use the metal milkshake containers, as they are much larger. Other than pureeing soups and the like, they do seem to work better in tall narrow containers.

Not applicable

I totally love mine. In fact, it's my favorite kitchen utensil. I love making soups and this makes it so much easier!

Super Contributor

I use mine all the time- I m on my second one!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I hardly ever use mine. Usually things go whiz in the VitaMix.

Valued Contributor

I only use it when making soup but when I use it I am so glad I have it and I don't have to dump the contents of my pot into the blender, perhaps even for multiple batches like I used to have to do. My husband does not like soup totally puréed. He likes it chunky so the hand blender is perfect for controlling that.
Super Contributor

The Cuisinart I was looking at has a cord. Is there a reason I should opt for the more expensive cordless one? I have a very small kitchen and I'm never far from an outlet.

Honored Contributor

I use mine to froth milk or hot cocoa.

Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 terrier3 said:

I use mine to froth milk or hot cocoa.

omg! I never even thought of this! I heard it's better to use skim milk for this. Can you elaborate? Thanks.