Honored Contributor

Saving money vs. saving time and space. When is it more realistic to spend a little extra?

I'm watching Melissa d'Arabian. I enjoy her show and her tips for saving money.

She says she cooks beans from dry and freezes them. "It's so much less expensive", she says. I have only one freezer and a limited amount of free time. It's worth it for me to spend a few extra cents on a can of beans.

When is it worth it to you to spend more money rather than to spend more time?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Saving money vs. saving time and space. When is it more realistic to spend a little extra?

I can relate it to grocery shopping. I like the thrill of the hunt for the best deal, but it's not always feasible to go to several stores. It takes alot of time because they aren't near each other. If the deal is big and it's feasible to buy a couple months worth, i'll take the time. If I'm just going to buy one, I won't.

Honored Contributor

Re: Saving money vs. saving time and space. When is it more realistic to spend a little extra?

I cook because I have to; not because I want to. I don't particularly enjoy my time in the kitchen, so my goal is to get in there and do what I have to do as quickly as possible, and get out. There are canned and frozen products I count on to make food preparation easier for me, and I am willing to pay for that convenience. I cook dry beans all the time, but never freeze them for future use. I have made chili with dried kidney beans, but truly prefer to just open cans of kidney beans in order to have a ready to eat meal in minutes instead of hours. I think I am all about convenience, and what works well for me and my family. At this stage of my life I don't think I am ready to change my habits and adapt to many of the money-saving techniques Melissa offers on her show----it seems too much like work to make the changes now.

Trusted Contributor

I've never had a need for a large freezer. Everyone I know who does basically has a freezer full of food that they seldom even use and a lot of it goes to waste. With crock pots, pressure cookers (stovetop & microwave), and other techniques I've never had a need to cook a lot of things ahead of time and store them. You can have a great crock pot meal that takes literally no more than a few minutes to prepare. Why not have freshly cooked food with fresh ingredients?

Respected Contributor

I don't mind spending extra on local seasonal fruits and vegetables. I just got back from the Farmers market. They are growers who state on their signs where the food was grown. In many instances they are less expensive than the grocery but they are always fresher and last longer. I also get a better variety. I also buy grass fed beef there which is healthier for me and the cattle. I am putting money back in my community and state. Fresh cherries were $4.75 a pound but they have had a rough time growing them this year and I like them. In contrast, nectarines and plums were $1.75 a pound. One of the things I love about California is all the great food available year round.
Esteemed Contributor

I never thought I'd have much use for a freezer when I lived in the city. Now that I live in a rural community it's a great time and money saver.

When I cook chili in the winter it's just as easy to make a huge pot as it is a smaller one. Leftovers, in the freezer. I usually bake buttermilk biscuits once a week. Leftovers, in the freezer.

ITA that taking advantage of farmer's markets and buying locally will give you much better quality for the $. I buy flats of strawberries and freeze. Same with other veggies in season.

It's work, true. But I work full time with a long commute. When I get home it's great to know there's always something in the freezer for dinner. Saves me from eating fast food! Wink

Respected Contributor

Beans taste much better if U cook them yourself. I never use canned as it's so easy to cook beans.

Honored Contributor

I grow basil in the summer. Harvest and make pesto which I then portion out and freeze. Easy peasy. Doesn't take a whole lot of room in the freezer. Easy to make and ready made pesto is pricy in the market.
Respected Contributor

On 5/24/2014 Yahooey said: I grow basil in the summer. Harvest and make pesto which I then portion out and freeze. Easy peasy. Doesn't take a whole lot of room in the freezer. Easy to make and ready made pesto is pricy in the market.

Homemade pesto is SO MUCH better than the store stuff. How do you freeze yours? Ice cube trays or? Do you put a layer of olive oil on top?

Super Contributor

About the only beans I've ever found that do well after freezing are pinquito beans. You can only buy them in Central California, so now I either have friends bring me a care package when they visit or sometimes have DS ship some if Susie Q doesn't have a sale. Most times, in December I order enough to last me the year direct from the company that grows them. Mid December is 20% off and free shipping.

I generally cook up 2 packages at a time, then freeze for later.

Other beans tend to get mushy when frozen and reheated.

I do have a large (30 CF) freezer. I'm down to one now. I couldn't function without one. I try to keep full, as freezers work best when full, unlike refrigerators. If you have good freezer organization, nothing will get wasted. Since I vacuum seal most things, there is never any freezer burn. I buy chickens from my egg lady, usually 6 at a time as they're fresh killed and organically fed with non-GMO feed. Don't know how anyone functions without one.

It means I only HAVE to shop for milk and produce, and even at that, I get a box of organic produce delivered every week or so.

I cook for one these days, so the freezer is even more a necessity than ever.