Respected Contributor

Re: Do you ever get groceries at Aldi's?

We are getting an Aldi's maybe end of next year, so far they haven't broken ground yet. I'll give it a try, I have been googling their ads and understand they have their own brands. My DD & her 6'4" boyfriend just go to Walmart. This guy eats alot & isn't picky so this may be the place for them. They are in their late 20's & trying to save money, but I also will probably go once a month. It will be a mad house for the 1st few months when & if it ever opens.

Frequent Contributor

Love it!  They are not close to me, so dont get there on a regular basis.  But at my daughters they are and i go there every week..Love everything i have purchased there..from fresh fruit and veggies to women & children boots to dairy to frozen foods...

Respected Contributor

I purchsed my Corned Beef this year from Aldi's and it was best I ever tasted.And was very little fat when it finished cooking. And their produce is usually very frresh. I just don't like going there with cash, I am afraid some will know or think you are going to purchase a weeks worth and be outside and rob me. I only go there in a pinch.

Respected Contributor

Of course we are talking about different towns so who can compare. If it works for you certainly go.

Respected Contributor

I LOVE  Aldi's!  There are cetain things there which you cannot get elsewhere- I have found it to be clean and well stocked and unbelievably inexpensive for most things-

I saw someone say they had to pay cash, we do not have to, they take debit where I live-

A few weeks ago they had a 1/2 roasted duck in the freezer section- well, I LOVE duck and it can really mess up your oven, so i tried it- SOOO good, 20  minutes in the oven, the skin crisped up nicely and the meat was so tender- No mess!! There was even a packet of orange sauce included (but I tried it with a little balsamic reduction glaze which I also bought at ALdis..

I  have a zillion markets round me here in Southern California, plus I have 5 Trader Joe's within 10 miles and I even have  4 Aldis within 10 miles.. I dont shop there all the time, but I really enjoy it when I do...

Respected Contributor

I do my weekly shopping at Shop-Rite.  My run-to store is Aldis.  I'm in and out of there quickly. (At first I was a bit dubious about their check-out system but have found it very quick and efficient.)

I always buy crackers, pretzels, and almonds at Aldis as they are a good deal cheaper and every bit as good.

Regular Contributor

I live within walking distance from an Aldi and I do some shopping there.   Yesterday  I went there to find something for dinner, got the grassfed organic ground beef and made burgers.  DH was impressed, wanted burgers again.  So back to Aldi for the beef it was all marked 1$ off per package.   I picked up 3.   Almost 4$ a pound less then at my other regular store.  

Of course that middle aisle with all the special buys gets me.  I bought a gingerbread looking cat scratching playhouse house for my cats.  

I like it around the holidays because they have German stuff, stolllen, marzipan , lebkuchen all the stuff I grew up with.  

Their prices are great on many items less than 2$ for a pint of heavy cream.   Their cheeses are great too.

I was told that if the packageing looks like a major manifacturers, it probably was made by the same maker of the name brand.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to until we got a Lidls here.  Both stores are less than a mile apart and have simiar setups.  Lidls is German and I think Aldis is as well.  I was in Lidls last week - they'd had chicken breasts on sale the week before - - it still had the sell by date good for another week and it was now marked 30% off to clear it out.  Lidls is bright and always in order - the prices on their produce is pretty cheap and bc of that it is constantly being rotated.  Aldis always has stuff just tossed all over the place.  Aldis to me is like going into the Big Lots here - same disorganized mess!

Super Contributor

I love Aldi's!  Shop there all the time!

Super Contributor

I live in a rural area.  I have a local chain grocery store about 15 miles away and a Walmart 15 miles away. I usually go to Walmart to shop as I can stop in before or after work. Aldi's is 30 miles away so go ther once a month or so.  Love Ald's prices and bought everything for Chex mix for about $10 including a can of nuts. You cannot beat their chip, cracker, and snack prices. Also find their produce fresh and cheap.  My friend likes to go and we make a day of it with lunch on our Aldi days. I try more and more of their products with generally a 90% like