Honored Contributor

Do you eat with your 👀?

To what degree do you eat with your eyes? 

For me, presentation plays a huge part in my food choices. I think it's why I'm drawn to baking - I like things that are pretty and presented in a lovely way.  I simply will not waste calories or time on something that doesn't look enticing. 

If I bake a batch of muffins or cookies, DH knows it's his job to eat all the ugly ones first - a job he takes rather serioiusly, lol.   I'm not crazy about sweets, but I'm often tempted by beautiful pastries and cakes if they look delightful.... otherwise, I'll pass.

I know people who will eat anything plopped on a plate.  I'm not one of those.  How 'bout you?

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you eat with your 👀?

I do agree that presentation plays a big role in how some of us think of food. I see posts on different websites and the food on the plate looks like a dog's breakfast, so it doesn't appeal to me at all. With that being said, when I cook for my husband and myself, I try to pay attention to presentation, but mainly my focus is on flavor. I do try and plate the food carefully, but sometimes it's hard to make a big plate of comfort food look like a magazine cover. 😊

Esteemed Contributor

My husband, for sure.  I swear he'll eat anything if it looks appetizing!  I try to make his plate pretty every night.  And, I know what he likes, so his "favorites" always make his eyes light up.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   what a loving gesture.  I'll bet he appreciates your efforts.

Esteemed Contributor

50/50....I like for whatever I'm eating to look appetizing but don't care for the high end "artistic" look.  Once you start layering your protein, green vegetables and starch in one mound and add schmears (sp?) and dots, micro greens for garnish, etc. it's gone over the top and doesn't appeal to me.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I think most of us eat with all of our senses....how does it look, smell, taste all play a part in whether we like a dish or not.

Honored Contributor

I must admit I do like for it to start out "pretty" the same as I want perfect potato chips, not broken.  But when I get down to what I can tell will be the last couple of bites all the items on my plate I start pushing all together.  I want that one final bite to be a glorious combo. then wipe up remains with whatever bread or tortilla is on hand.  Clean but messy person here.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

If something doesn't look good or appetizing to me I won't even try it in most cases (if someone I trust really pushes the fact that they LOVE it and just taste it because it is worth a try, I will likely try it in spite of the visual) - you can't always judge a book by its cover.  If it doesn' t look that great but I can see the ingredients are things I like, I would try it.  However, I don't need all the fancy plating with the smear of sauce/juice supposedly artistically applied to the plate or to have it served on a "round of wood" off a tree & covered with some chemical to make it not absorbent, or to have edible flowers sprinkled delicately over the top.  That is not the kind of visual appeal I am drawn to when it comes to food.  Just something that looks and/or smells tasty. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I wish I did, then my mouth wouldn't be so busy.

Honored Contributor

I like food to look good, but I know not everything does.  I suppose I am not real picky about the way things are presented.   Spinach soup never looks inviting, but tastes great.

Mostly, food has to smell good.  I have a sensitive nose and can smell when something is off and not fresh.  Unless it is parm cheese or some other pungent food, I will hesitate to taste it and probably end up throwing it out.