Trusted Contributor

Re: Do Your Remember - Pyrex Primary Colors Nesting Mixing Bowls?

@Nonametoday  I had to look up Club Aluminum. The aquamarine, which they call turquoise, are so pretty. I don't remember any female family members having colored pots when I was a kid. I recall Farberware and Revereware though. Just plain metals that mom and grandma had. I would LOVE to own the turquoise Club Aluminum now.

Thanks for helping me learn something that I never knew existed back then.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@BunSnoop wrote:

I read in an article in a magazine yesterday that you could purchase these bowls in the 1940's for about $3.00.  Today, they're considered a collectable and sell for about $200.

Gosh, what great memories they brought back for me.  My mom had these when I was growing up (1960's) and I can remember her putting hard boil eggs to store in the blue bowl, jello in the red bowl or perhaps cucumber salad,  the green bowl she would have potato salad, and the yellow bowl she would use to mix her stuffing. 

I think she grabbed for those bowls everyday.  They always looked so festive on our table while everyone was taking helpings from each of the wonderful dishes she prepared.

Great memories (miss you mom)!!

Pyrex primary colors nesting mixing bowls set of 4 image 0

Someone here has a picture of these nested bowls as their Nic pic.  I think it is @Mominohio .

I see these bowls at flea markets, thrifts, and antique shops quite often.  They run around 40 to 50 dollars......not $200.  My mom had a set when we were growing up.    The large yellow one was great for popcorn. Woman Happy

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, @BunSnoop !

@tends2dogs 

Yep! it's me!

I'm a bit of a vintage Pyrex hoarder. 

I have the primary mixing bowl set that was my grandma's, then my mom's. I use them, but not on a daily basis, although I should. I just love making old family recipes in them, just like they did for many, many decades. Mine are the older ones, going back to the 1940's.

Those sets do sell for $100, sometimes more in some places, if they are in really good condition. Vintage Pyrex in general is really hot with 20 and 30 somethings. They collect and use, and some do their entire kitchens (and homes) in all the old mid century modern stuff so many people couldn't wait to get rid of in the 80's and 90's. 

I have a lot of different Pyrex just on display in my laundry room, but I especially love the mixing bowl sets, and have many styles. I tend to rotate them in and out of my kitchen, one set at a time, and love using them. 

Below are some of the patterns I have and use.

Complete Set of Four Vintage Pyrex Early American Nesting image 0

Pyrexs Old Orchard Nesting 403 402 and 401 Mixing Bowls and image 0

vintage Pyrex mixing bowls set of 3 Bluebelle delphite blue good condition (image 1/1)

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

Does anyone else have these? I use the red ones in our refrigerator every day, and the yellow is a perfect casserole dish for our toaster oven.  Growing up, the blue one always held carrot and celery sticks. I also like clear refrigerator dishes with veggies, etc on the lid.

D1A98E55-FEE0-4857-997A-6A8D0C78420C.png

I have this set too. I don't use them, just display them. I find them awkward, the lids wanting to slip off when I try to get them out of the fridge, and I'm always afraid of breaking them. The problem lies with my tiny fridge (we only have space for a certain size, and it is not very big) as well as my increasingly arthritic hands that simply don't function right most days anymore, making me much more clumsy than I want to admit! lol

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I have those bowls, formerly my grandmother's, then mother's.  Perfect sizes for different uses.  

@Catty2 

It's like some genius invented these bowls, isn't it? There is a size for just about anything you want to make or serve. I don't know if it is because this is what I grew up with, that I learned/adapted to the sizes or if they really are just perfect for anything and everything! lol

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Have a Pyrex set like this inherited from my MIL's kitchen when she passed.....they are PINK and very heavy, probably 1940's. I display them proudly. 

@CJC 

Those pink ones are super collectible, and sell higher than most sets! They are highly sought after by especially younger collectors. You have some good ones! 

Respected Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

Does anyone else have these? I use the red ones in our refrigerator every day, and the yellow is a perfect casserole dish for our toaster oven.  Growing up, the blue one always held carrot and celery sticks. I also like clear refrigerator dishes with veggies, etc on the lid.

D1A98E55-FEE0-4857-997A-6A8D0C78420C.png

I have three sets. I wish I had more of the medium sized one. The medium holds exactly a can of vegetables for a quick heat in the microwave.  I use them just as you.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay try replacements dot com 

Frequent Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@BunSnoop wrote:

I read in an article in a magazine yesterday that you could purchase these bowls in the 1940's for about $3.00.  Today, they're considered a collectable and sell for about $200.

Gosh, what great memories they brought back for me.  My mom had these when I was growing up (1960's) and I can remember her putting hard boil eggs to store in the blue bowl, jello in the red bowl or perhaps cucumber salad,  the green bowl she would have potato salad, and the yellow bowl she would use to mix her stuffing. 

I think she grabbed for those bowls everyday.  They always looked so festive on our table while everyone was taking helpings from each of the wonderful dishes she prepared.

Great memories (miss you mom)!!

Pyrex primary colors nesting mixing bowls set of 4 image 0

Someone here has a picture of these nested bowls as their Nic pic.  I think it is @Mominohio .

I see these bowls at flea markets, thrifts, and antique shops quite often.  They run around 40 to 50 dollars......not $200.  My mom had a set when we were growing up.    The large yellow one was great for popcorn. Woman Happy

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, @BunSnoop !

@tends2dogs 

Yep! it's me!

I'm a bit of a vintage Pyrex hoarder. 

I have the primary mixing bowl set that was my grandma's, then my mom's. I use them, but not on a daily basis, although I should. I just love making old family recipes in them, just like they did for many, many decades. Mine are the older ones, going back to the 1940's.

Those sets do sell for $100, sometimes more in some places, if they are in really good condition. Vintage Pyrex in general is really hot with 20 and 30 somethings. They collect and use, and some do their entire kitchens (and homes) in all the old mid century modern stuff so many people couldn't wait to get rid of in the 80's and 90's. 

I have a lot of different Pyrex just on display in my laundry room, but I especially love the mixing bowl sets, and have many styles. I tend to rotate them in and out of my kitchen, one set at a time, and love using them. 

Below are some of the patterns I have and use.

Complete Set of Four Vintage Pyrex Early American Nesting image 0

Pyrexs Old Orchard Nesting 403 402 and 401 Mixing Bowls and image 0

vintage Pyrex mixing bowls set of 3 Bluebelle delphite blue good condition (image 1/1)

I have that blue set!  🥳

Trusted Contributor

I have the rainbow set that used to belong to my Mom. Still use them, although I confess to purchasing a set of Fiesta plastic mixing bowls and a set of stainless for those days when my hands just don't want to pick up anything heavy.