Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do Your Remember - Pyrex Primary Colors Nesting Mixing Bowls?

@Sooner @world traveler  I too have those in the blue and white!   They were my mom's set.  What work horses, they have been around for many decades and I still use them often.

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

I read in an article in a magazine yesterday that you could purchase these bowls in the 1940's for about $3.00.  Today, they're considered a collectable and sell for about $200.

Gosh, what great memories they brought back for me.  My mom had these when I was growing up (1960's) and I can remember her putting hard boil eggs to store in the blue bowl, jello in the red bowl or perhaps cucumber salad,  the green bowl she would have potato salad, and the yellow bowl she would use to mix her stuffing. 

I think she grabbed for those bowls everyday.  They always looked so festive on our table while everyone was taking helpings from each of the wonderful dishes she prepared.

Great memories (miss you mom)!!

Pyrex primary colors nesting mixing bowls set of 4 image 0

I have the same 1940's set that I bought a garage sale for a dollar a piece almost 30 years ago.  Still use them several time a week.  Love the colors. 

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

I read in an article in a magazine yesterday that you could purchase these bowls in the 1940's for about $3.00.  Today, they're considered a collectable and sell for about $200.

Gosh, what great memories they brought back for me.  My mom had these when I was growing up (1960's) and I can remember her putting hard boil eggs to store in the blue bowl, jello in the red bowl or perhaps cucumber salad,  the green bowl she would have potato salad, and the yellow bowl she would use to mix her stuffing. 

I think she grabbed for those bowls everyday.  They always looked so festive on our table while everyone was taking helpings from each of the wonderful dishes she prepared.

@BunSnoop 

My Big Mamma had those.  I loved them because they were colorful.  Most of what we had was restaurant stuff, lots of stainless, aluminum and for Sunday dinner, we had the real China and good stuff that had been handed down through the years and casseroles and roasts were made in Hammercraft.  Does anyone remember that?  Later, we graduated to the aquamarine color of Club Aluminum.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@Sooner @world traveler  I too have those in the blue and white!   They were my mom's set.  What work horses, they have been around for many decades and I still use them often.

@LindaSal @world traveler. 

The little blue things wore off of ours because at our house everything but the cat (just because we were all afraid of him) went in the dishwasher!  If it killed it, we got something else to replace it.

We had a tiny tiny tiny kitchen, but we had a dishwasher! LOL!!!!

Respected Contributor

Definitely remember them as a child. I do not know what happened to my mom's set. She must have discarded them when she moved.

I would love to go back to the 50's and early '60's for a day of shopping. We had no idea that many good items such as a sharp, durable potato peeler would be replaced with today's less than quality products.

Respected Contributor

My mom had this set. My sister has the prices now, but its no longer a full set.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

Definitely remember them as a child. I do not know what happened to my mom's set. She must have discarded them when she moved.

I would love to go back to the 50's and early '60's for a day of shopping. We had no idea that many good items such as a sharp, durable potato peeler would be replaced with today's less than quality products.

@On It Exactly! I had the old ones for years and years, and one day it was gone. Must have accidently thrown it out. Went to the store to get another one. All I saw were fancy ones, fatter ones. After purchasing 2-3 over the years, I find none of them have been as good as the original silver one. Who knew I could get so up tight over a good potato/carrot pealer? ha!

I loved the one below. Wonder if I can still get it. I tried a few years ago, but gave up.

potato peeler.jpg

Respected Contributor

Does anyone else have these? I use the red ones in our refrigerator every day, and the yellow is a perfect casserole dish for our toaster oven.  Growing up, the blue one always held carrot and celery sticks. I also like clear refrigerator dishes with veggies, etc on the lid.

D1A98E55-FEE0-4857-997A-6A8D0C78420C.png

Valued Contributor

I have a couple of pieces of Hammercraft that I use.  One is an oval dutch oven.  It's a workhorse for me.  I also have a set of the colored Pyrex bowls that I inherited.  I don't use them as much as I should.

Respected Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

@BunSnoop wrote:

I have the same 1940's set that I bought a garage sale for a dollar a piece almost 30 years ago.  Still use them several time a week.  Love the colors. 

I still have these exact bowls.