Trusted Contributor

Do Your Remember - Pyrex Primary Colors Nesting Mixing Bowls?

I read in an article in a magazine yesterday that you could purchase these bowls in the 1940's for about $3.00.  Today, they're considered a collectable and sell for about $200.

Gosh, what great memories they brought back for me.  My mom had these when I was growing up (1960's) and I can remember her putting hard boil eggs to store in the blue bowl, jello in the red bowl or perhaps cucumber salad,  the green bowl she would have potato salad, and the yellow bowl she would use to mix her stuffing. 

I think she grabbed for those bowls everyday.  They always looked so festive on our table while everyone was taking helpings from each of the wonderful dishes she prepared.

Great memories (miss you mom)!!

Pyrex primary colors nesting mixing bowls set of 4 image 0

Honored Contributor

Re: Do Your Remember - Pyrex Primary Colors Nesting Mixing Bowls?

I got married in 1975, for a shower gift I got a set of these with glass lids, mine were a mix of gold and green, with little flowers on them, still use them to this day, could not be without these.  Perfect for fridge storage and in microwave. 

Honored Contributor

You can find replacements for these on Ebay, but people charge a fortune for the shipping. 

Super Contributor

We had these, too and they are the one thing that I wish I had asked my dad to save for me when he liquidated his household. Thanks for the memories these bring to me!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Got these Pyrex bowls as a gift in 1965. Over the years of many moves, only broke one...the brown one that fits between the two white ones. 

IMG_5649.jpg

Respected Contributor

I have a set I use often.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop ,

Do you know a good source to find the value of old dishes and china?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

My mom had three bowls similar to these that I can remember through the years.  She made lots of goodies and served in them to create lots of precious memories that still give me comfort.  She has been gone now for 5 years but perhaps she and your mom are baking goodies for everyone else for Easter!

Esteemed Contributor

Received these bowls with pour spout design  as a gift around 1975 in the brown  color with a small harvest pattern. I still have my original bowls except one. My Husband found  a replacement at Salvation Army for the one I broke. Some items last so long and I love the pour  spout handles.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

Got these Pyrex bowls as a gift in 1965. Over the years of many moves, only broke one...the brown one that fits between the two white ones. 

IMG_5649.jpg

@World Traveler  When I was growing up we had these in blue and white.  I don't think I remember seeing those solid colored ones at all. 

We mostly used those melamine mottled colored bowls for mixing or clear glass bowls.  The ones similar to the ones above were our serving bowls.