Respected Contributor

Re: Do You and DH Differ In Salt Sensitivity???

@yellowrose Most Dr.'s will try to push a Salt Sense substitute and I can't tolerate it it's to spicy for my diet. But pepper has to give you some sense of taste. But I think maybe find a middle ground it might hurt your stomach.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

DH and I avoid salt for health reasons.  We use spices and preblended spices (Mrs. Dash and Penney’s) to season food.  So far, so good with keeping our blood pressure at good levels in our elder years.  

Good for you. Smiley Happy

This is also what I do when I cook, too. 

I don't use as much salt as I used to use. I have to watch my sodium intake, too.

I use salt-free blends in my cooking. I also use the Mrs. Dash blends, and other salt-free blends that Penzey's makes. 

There are some very delicious salt-free blends out there, where you don't even miss the salt. Smiley Happy

My husband is used to my cooking like this.

One thing that he likes to do is use barbecue sauce with his meat when I roast chicken or pork when it's already seasoned, so I'll ask him to taste it first before he uses any sauce on it because I usually season it to where it doesn't always need anything extra to go with the meat. 

Honored Contributor

Mine uses too much salt and sugar.

Esteemed Contributor

@Toppers3, I am so glad you caught my typo.  Yes, the brand is Penzey’s.  I might suggest that anyone interested in this brand send for their catalog.  They offer all varieties os the usual spices, spice blends that are salted, but their blended spices that are salt-free are terrific.  You won’t miss the salt with these.  

Unfortunately, salt and sugar taste good for most of us.  But there is entirely too much in the American diet, as people like me and Toppers certainly agree.  Old habits are so hard to break, aren’t they?

Thank you, Toppers, for your informative post.

Honored Contributor

He should be more diligent in his salt usage... and on occasion I remind him... but nothing is going to change what he does... I have learned that over the 40 years of marriage.

I do watch my salt. Maybe not as good as I could at all times, but try to be conscious of how much salt  is in things and buy or not buy accordingly.  I use No Salt if I do salt anything. 

Trusted Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Toppers3, I am so glad you caught my typo.  Yes, the brand is Penzey’s.  I might suggest that anyone interested in this brand send for their catalog.  They offer all varieties os the usual spices, spice blends that are salted, but their blended spices that are salt-free are terrific.  You won’t miss the salt with these.  

Unfortunately, salt and sugar taste good for most of us.  But there is entirely too much in the American diet, as people like me and Toppers certainly agree.  Old habits are so hard to break, aren’t they?

Thank you, Toppers, for your informative post.

You're welcome. Heart

I learn so much from everyone else here when I read others' posts, so I'm glad when I can contribute too and it can help others. Smiley Happy

One thing that I started to do that I picked up from reading from the Penzeys' website is to use their baking spices in other ways besides baking.

They're great just for adding flavor to already made foods.

For example, I have been putting Apple Pie Spice and Pie Spice on my oatmeal before I make it, and it adds such great flavor without adding any extra sugar. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Yes DH loves salt  while I do not.  He constantly accusses me of not putting enough salt and pepper on food.  He can add all he wants.

Honored Contributor

Yes. DH is a little heavy handed on the salt.

I told DH from now on I would get the stuff ready for him to put on the smoker/grill etc. He always uses way too much salt plus other spices.

We had Filet Mignon last week that was too salty. The pepper was fine but too much salt.

DH sees these bbq competitions where they cover everything with lots of seasoning. I told him I don't know what they are using but it must not be any good if they have to use the amount they use. I told him to knock it off. Yes food tastes better with salt but you don't need a lot of it especially if you use the pink Himalayan sea salt.