Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Make "Fried" Cabbage?

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG Cut it into shreds, put a tiny bit of oil in the pan with a tiny bit of butter, sautee the cabbage, add salt and usually soy sauce, flip and stir a little more and eat!  

@Sooner Do you cook your cabbage until it doesn't crunch?  The thing about southerners cooking everything through is real,lol!Smiley Happy

@ECBG Depends:  IF I shred it really fine I will then let it brown one the edges and leave it firmer.  

IF I am putting in more soy sauce and have more oil, and the cabbage is cut thicker, I will let it cook more.  Not to mush, but not crunchy or really firm either.  Limp but not much.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG Cut it into shreds, put a tiny bit of oil in the pan with a tiny bit of butter, sautee the cabbage, add salt and usually soy sauce, flip and stir a little more and eat!  

@Sooner Do you cook your cabbage until it doesn't crunch?  The thing about southerners cooking everything through is real,lol!Smiley Happy

@ECBG Depends:  IF I shred it really fine I will then let it brown one the edges and leave it firmer.  

IF I am putting in more soy sauce and have more oil, and the cabbage is cut thicker, I will let it cook more.  Not to mush, but not crunchy or really firm either.  Limp but not much.

@SoonerThanks! I'm not to mush either!  That texture makes me have chills!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@SoonerThanks! I'm not to mush either!  That texture makes me have chills!!!

@ECBG Hmmm. . . I'll have to try that in August!  Chills would sound pretty good then!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Yes, big fan of fried cabbage.   Hot skillet, bacon grease, salt and pepper, stir with tongs to coat, cook about 6 minutes in open skillet, then add a tablespoon of water, cover, turn heat off and let sit a few minutes to soften.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Yes, big fan of fried cabbage.   Hot skillet, bacon grease, salt and pepper, stir with tongs to coat, cook about 6 minutes in open skillet, then add a tablespoon of water, cover, turn heat off and let sit a few minutes to soften.  

@RedTop BACON GREASE?????!!!!!!!  I'd have to give up sandwich bread a year!!!!!Smiley Sad  (I only get 1 piece a day!!!).

See the source image

Honored Contributor

@ECBG,

2 Tbsp of bacon grease to one head of cabbage ain’t nothing to sweat about.  Live a little!   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@ECBG,

2 Tbsp of bacon grease to one head of cabbage ain’t nothing to sweat about.  Live a little!   

@RedTop I do mine like @Sooner .  I also add a little goya pork seasoning.  We never cook breakfast here, although he may do cinnamon buns or if the 2 grandsons are here.

Honored Contributor

NO

Respected Contributor

My Mom used to boil potatoes and cabbage with a Boston ham butt for dinner. Since my Dad worked the night shift, she saved a portion for him to have for his lunch the next day. This was way before microwaves, so she'd sauté it in butter until it was heated through. I thought the reheated cabbage was delicious and my Dad would give me a little. 

Nowadays, I make sautéed cabbage as a side dish to roast pork or pork chops. Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a frying pan. Sauté a large, thinly-sliced onion. Stir in shredded cabbage (either one medium or half a large head) and cook for about 3 minutes. Add a tablespoon of sugar, and half a teaspoon each of salt and caraway seeds. Sauté a couple more minutes until the cabbage is al dente. Serve immediately. 

Honored Contributor

@Shiloh09 wrote:

My grandparents made fried cabbage. They fried it in butter and added salt and pepper. They added it to cooked noodles.  It is a Slovak/Czech dish called Haluski. Yummo!

I am 100% Slovak and my Grandma and Mom made what we call Repne Halusky.  To this day, I make it often.  We make potato dumplings with our fried cabbage and call the dish Repne Halusky.  Making it with noodles just doesn't do it for me.  I always make the dumplings which are very tasty and filling.  A little extra work but worth it. Yummy!