Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Make "Fried" Cabbage?

I wanted to add, if I ate meat...I would use ground pork, add some garlic.  Yum. Like eating an egg roll.....without hate roll!

Honored Contributor

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded on this thread as there are so many great recipes and techniques!  I am going to make some fried cabbage today but to be honest, now I really have to think about which recipe to use . . . Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up, my mom made fried cabbage occasionally but, unfortunately, I don't care for it (in any form) so I would never eat it.  On New Year's Day she always made Cabbage Pie which I believe was the fried cabbage put into a pie crust and then baked.  

The only time I've eaten cabbage is in an egg roll but that is very rare as I don't eat Chinese but once every 4 or 5 years.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

My son made and brought me stir fried cabbage with bacon for tonight.  But since it was already in my fridge I had to have a taste last night.  Woke up this morning thinking finally St. Patrick's Day and now tonight will have the rest of it.  Too bad that is about 12 hours away from my dinner time, but it will come.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG   Yes, I do.  One way, when serving potstickers, I shred it, saute it quickly and add asesame seeds, etc., so good.  I have also just sauted it in olive oil.

You mentiopned a vegetable rich time when growing up.  I don't remember eating any fresh vegetables, always frozen.  My Mother grew up on a farm so one would think she would go fresh, could be she couldn't afford it, or was too busy, worked, 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@ECBG   Yes, I do.  One way, when serving potstickers, I shred it, saute it quickly and add asesame seeds, etc., so good.  I have also just sauted it in olive oil.

You mentiopned a vegetable rich time when growing up.  I don't remember eating any fresh vegetables, alwqays frozen.  My Mother grew up on a farm so One would think she go fresh, could be she couldn't afford it, or was too busy, worked, 

@mousiegirl Sesame seeds!  Great idea!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I sauté cabbage in a little butter or olive oil and stir in some softened cream cheese.  I toss in some dried dill, too.  

I'm making baked corned beef and cabbage tomorrow.

My mother served very few fresh vegetables when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s.

Respected Contributor

Enjoyed reading this thread. Bought a large head of cabbage and plan to cook cabbage and noodles this weekend.
Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
Enjoyed reading this thread. Bought a large head of cabbage and plan to cook cabbage and noodles this weekend.

@Kindaglitzy Our 14 year old that may want to be a chef is trying this at his house this evening!Smiley Happy  We are having a little "knife control" issue, but he has help!