Honored Contributor

Re: Dish Drainer

[ Edited ]

I have never owned one of those. We have not used our dishwasher in quite some time since there are only 2 of us.

It takes too long for it to get full before I would run it.

I use a microfiber dish drying mat I leave on the counter all the time. I have several in different colors.

When we wash any dishes we put them on the mat plus dry & put away.

I have never left dirty dishes sitting on the counter or in the sink. I also don't leave them sitting on the mat to dry. 

Respected Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I hand wash my dishes and dry them right away so I don't use one.  

I hate you.

Just kidding - you're much less lazy than moi.  Woman LOL

Denise
Honored Contributor

Dish drainer is always in the sink; never had a dishwasher.   We wash our dishes, let them dry then put them away; rarely ever do you see dishes in my dish drainer.   

Esteemed Contributor

They sell ones that fit across one side and drain into the sink.  I love mine.  Don’t want a drain board taking counter space.

Honored Contributor

I have a smaller size Rubbermaid dish drainer that I keep on one counter by the sink.  I probably wouldn't want to do that if I didn't have a lot of counter space in my kitchen.   

Even though I do have a dishwasher, there are things I use nearly constantly that I just hand-wash, also, of course, I wouldn't put the pots/pans or my knives in the dishwasher.

Regular Contributor

I also have a double sink and leave my strainer in there.

Honored Contributor

No dish drainer for me. Just lay a towel on the counter for the few items that I do wash by hand. All the other stuff gets put in the washer.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't used a dish drainer for at least 30 years. Most everything goes in the dishwasher right away, and what needs to be hand washed just gets propped up in the other sink to dry or to be dried. I have a small kitchen and don't like a lot of "stuff" sitting out. I don't think I know anyone who uses a dish drainer.

Frequent Contributor

I actually just purchased a new dish drainer and mat yesterday!  My old one was VERY old and it showed its age.  I keep it out next to my single stainless sink all the time.  I don’t have a dishwasher, as they have always grossed me out...maybe from all those years of apartment living.  When I bought my house I had the existing one removed.  It’s only me, my partner and 6 cats.  So I promptly hand wash everything, let it dry in the drainer and put it all away.  It just works for me...

Trusted Contributor

Like some of you, I have one for the things that I hand wash, and then let air dry. I've always had one.

In the last place that we lived, we didn't have a dishwasher, but this place came with one and I still use a dish drainer for the hand washable items. 

I leave it out all of the time too on the counter.