Respected Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

@BeccaLouwrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

No man and no person under the age of 50 would ever have this problem.....because they would never have started that coffee foolishness to begin with.  OP is part of the generation of women workers who felt that they had to "mother" the office.  Even though no one ever asked them to do it.  It's generational, we see less and less of that type of thing.  All she has to do is stop making the coffee and let people take care of their own caffeine fix.

On the mark comments!  I am not a coffee drinker thank goodness and never got involved in the issues surrounding it's production.  I never understood why some people obsessed over who makes coffee, when and how.  Just do it or don't do it and don't make it your problem. 

Becca Lou Wrote: Can't they all chip in and get a Kuerig ?

That would just present another problem.  Keurigs don't manage themselves.  Who buys the coffee packs?  Who stores them?  Who collects the money from people?   Offices are not homes and that coffee business is an old fashioned, old timey thing that doesn't belong in today's workplace.  

Becca Wrote :Foolish Me, I was thinking they could just bring their own K Cups And then just keep them at their desks. Okay Wave The White Flag !!!

!

t

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Coworker vent

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltreewrote:

No man and no person under the age of 50 would ever have this problem.....because they would never have started that coffee foolishness to begin with.  OP is part of the generation of women workers who felt that they had to "mother" the office.  Even though no one ever asked them to do it.  It's generational, we see less and less of that type of thing.  All she has to do is stop making the coffee and let people take care of their own caffeine fix.

I agree.  

But taking on this responsibility was her choice. Now that she doesn't want to do it anymore, of course she should stop.  But she's been doing it for ten years (!), so of course everyone now expects it.  That's not entirely their fault.

I think she should tell them that she's stopping.  And then stop.  Otherwise, they'll be wondering if she'll be doing it later than usual, if she's just not doing it that day, etc.  A clean break can be accomplished by simply telling them that she can't/won't/doesn't want to/whatever make the coffee anymore.  As I said upthread, she can say it with a smile.  Or post a friendly note.

Simply stopping is not a clean enough break, IMO, because they'll be left wondering and asking and still holding onto the expectation that she might still do it.  I think she should tell them nicely, and then stop.  Period.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

@BeccaLouwrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

On the mark comments!  I am not a coffee drinker thank goodness and never got involved in the issues surrounding it's production.  I never understood why some people obsessed over who makes coffee, when and how.  Just do it or don't do it and don't make it your problem. 

That would just present another problem.  Keurigs don't manage themselves.  Who buys the coffee packs?  Who stores them?  Who collects the money from people?   Offices are not homes and that coffee business is an old fashioned, old timey thing that doesn't belong in today's workplace.  

I agree.

I love my Keurig, but I don't see how that would work in this situation.  Are they each going to buy their own k-cups and keep a good supply?  If not, who decides which k--cups to purchase and how will that be managed?  Are they going to get upset because the last person didn't fill the water tank?  Keurigs sometimes clog, and they also need to be descaled, have filters changed, etc.  Who will take on that responsibility?

I worked in an office where this would have worked.  We were very good about dividing responsibility, and no one ever took advantage of anyone else.  It was true team spirit all the time.  That doesn't exist everywhere, though, and in the situation described by the OP, it seems that keeping things as simple as possible would be best.

In any case, I don't think she should even consider getting involved in obtaining a Keurig.  Otherwise, she'll end up having to mastermind everything and coffee will become her responsibility once again.  I really think she should pull out of anything having to do with coffee there completely.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susanwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

@BeccaLouwrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

I agree.

I love my Keurig, but I don't see how that would work in this situation.  Are they each going to buy their own k-cups and keep a good supply?  If not, who decides which k--cups to purchase and how will that be managed?  Are they going to get upset because the last person didn't fill the water tank?  Keurigs sometimes clog, and they also need to be descaled, have filters changed, etc.  Who will take on that responsibility?

I worked in an office where this would have worked.  We were very good about dividing responsibility, and no one ever took advantage of anyone else.  It was true team spirit all the time.  That doesn't exist everywhere, though, and in the situation described by the OP, it seems that keeping things as simple as possible would be best.

In any case, I don't think she should even consider getting involved in obtaining a Keurig.  Otherwise, she'll end up having to mastermind everything and coffee will become her responsibility once again.  I really think she should pull out of anything having to do with coffee there completely.

Becca Lou Wrote : I was just picturing my mini, it has no tank to fill. So each person would have to fill it each time. I don't think that would an added expense to anyone that way, the k cups would be only theirs at their desk drawer. No filters to purchase.But a measuring cup for water would have to be a necessity, so it wouldn't make a mess with some people trying to use their cup to fill it. Oh well maybe they could just get their own and put in on their own desk. Just a thought, maybe no fix to the problem .

Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLouwrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

@BeccaLouwrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

I agree.

Becca Lou Wrote : I was just picturing my mini, it has no tank to fill. So each person would have to fill it each time. I don't think that would an added expense to anyone that way, the k cups would be only theirs at their desk drawer. No filters to purchase.But a measuring cup for water would have to be a necessity, so it wouldn't make a mess with some people trying to use their cup to fill it. Oh well maybe they could just get their own and put in on their own desk. Just a thought, maybe no fix to the problem .

I don't think even a mini would work for an entire office.  And even if it did, there would still be potential problems.  Anytime anything is shared, it becomes someone's responsibility to take care of it.  These people are used to coffee brewed in a pot, and might not want a Keurig.  There are definitely some good arguments against it - cost, environmental concerns, so some of them might not like the idea of a Keurig for those reasons and also having to keep their own supply of k-cups.  Will they be stealing each other's k-cups if they run out?  (I'm kidding, but only partly!)

If they already have a coffeemaker with a pot and they all like it, I can understand that they might want to continue using it.  They're just going to have to figure out a way to do that without the OP taking care of it every day.  Making coffee is really not a big deal.

I agree with you that individual Keurigs sounds like a good idea and would keep everything separate.  But things rarely work out that easily!  {sigh}  In any case, none of this should be the OP's problem.  I think she should tell them that she can't do it anymore, and step back.  Let the rest of them figure it out.  She's served her time.  :-)

Honored Contributor

So funny...I just saw this article on Lifehacker.com.

Giggle.

4AB1A7D1-62A3-4706-B365-DF1682DDE060.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Coworker vent

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak:   I think you've solved the problem! You took a step back. If they want coffee bad enough, someone else will step up to the plate. Before you know it, others will get in the habit of making the coffee.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susanwrote:

@BeccaLouwrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

@BeccaLouwrote:

@Soonerwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

I agree.

I don't think even a mini would work for an entire office.  And even if it did, there would still be potential problems.  Anytime anything is shared, it becomes someone's responsibility to take care of it.  These people are used to coffee brewed in a pot, and might not want a Keurig.  There are definitely some good arguments against it - cost, environmental concerns, so some of them might not like the idea of a Keurig for those reasons and also having to keep their own supply of k-cups.  Will they be stealing each other's k-cups if they run out?  (I'm kidding, but only partly!)

If they already have a coffeemaker with a pot and they all like it, I can understand that they might want to continue using it.  They're just going to have to figure out a way to do that without the OP taking care of it every day.  Making coffee is really not a big deal.

I agree with you that individual Keurigs sounds like a good idea and would keep everything separate.  But things rarely work out that easily!  {sigh}  In any case, none of this should be the OP's problem.  I think she should tell them that she can't do it anymore, and step back.  Let the rest of them figure it out.  She's served her time.  :-)

Could someone tell me also what OP stands for ? Thank-You In advance .

Respected Contributor

@Diva on The Qwrote:

@cookinfreak:   I think you've solved the problem! You took a step back. If they want coffee bad enough, someone else will step up to the plate. Before you know it, others will get in the habit of making the coffee.

Yes, let's not beat this dead horse any more. Why can't people just be Adults, and not be part of a "ME" society ?

Respected Contributor

@Diva on The Qwrote:

Becca Lou Wrote : Yes, let's not beat this horse to death any longer. Why can't people just be adults, and stop being part of a "ME" society ?