Frequent Contributor

Re: Counter top ice cube maker

I have worn out 2 of them.  I live in a older home with plaster walls so an ice maker in the refrig is not do-able.

Right now I have a Frigidare from Wal****. Just love it.  If you don't use all the ice it just melts back into the unit. It does stay intact as cubes for a long time.

I wash the unit out once a week with some baking soda & white vinegar.  The plug in the bottom opens to allow for water drainage into the sink.

Don't hesitate to try it if you love cold beverages as I do.

Respected Contributor

after having bought one about a year ago , I do not want to be without a countertop ice maker . I bought a Kitchen HQ from HSN when they ran a sale.It has a self cleaning cycle. Believe me it earns it's real estate spot on the counter. Like others mentioned doing I fill freezer bags with ice . Usually a weeks worth. I love cold water .It is real fast.

The ones that come in refrigerators are such a pain to maintain . Too much cost for filters and plumbing for a small family.

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 

Continued prayers for comfort.

(((((Renata & Pup 👼🐾🐕)))))

Super Contributor

I don't know about most of you but what's wrong with a good old-fashioned ice cube tray is that they're a pain in the neck to use. Someone gets a couple of ice cubes out of the tray and wastes the rest of the cubes or puts the tray back in the freezer with some cubes empty. I lived in a retirement community once that had no kitchen. I had to go down to the dining room kitchen to get ice cubes in a ice container. It was a pain to do. I bought one of these ice makers and it was wonderful. 

Where I am now I had to purchase a refrigerator,. Of course I like the refrigerator part of the unit but we love the ice water/ice maker part of the refrigerator. We both use it frequently.

Honored Contributor

We have had ice makers in the fridge for 40 years that I know of and what a joy that is for me.  We have another ice maker too for summers like this!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

@ChiliPepper I can't tell you how much it means that you check with me about my baby. We decided late last night that the suffering was just too much. He was miserable and getting worse. We brought him to the e.r. vet and he passed a little after midnight. We are so broken hearted and will miss that silly little puppy so much. He was one of a kind. We are so thankful he is not suffering any more.

Thank you so much for your kindness. Heart

@Renata22 You did absolutely the right thing.  The worst for you would be remember his suffeing.   I learned that the hard way.  Bless you for being angels for your friend. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  There are some precious people here. You are one of them. Thank you so much for your kindness. 

I had this idea that he would pass peacefully. Then I saw in many ways he was getting worse. I was suddenly terrified I would see him suffer the way I had seen other animals dying that I could not help (various neighbors in the past, etc.). I am still replaying his last moments and feel guilty for making the decision, but I do know it was better than letting him go on suffering for who knows how long. I miss him so much. He was always right there with me, doing whatever I was. 

Still so sad. The closest people to me understand. Many others don't and have no idea about the grief of losing him.

Sorry for going on, thank you, again. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 

@Sooner 

No need to be sorry Renata, us pet people get it.

Continued prayers for comfort!

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 You sweetie!  You did what was best for your pet, not what was best for you. Please be at peace with this choice--you did the right thing not the easy thing!

Trusted Contributor

@ChiliPepper , @Sooner 

Thank you both.HeartHeart