Honored Contributor

Re: Counter top ice cube maker

@kaydee50 wrote:

What's wrong with a good old fashioned ice cube tray?  We have an ice maker in our refrigerator but only because it was here when we moved in.  How much ice do you use??

@kaydee50 There are two of us and we keep 2 ice makers busy!  We use a LOT of ice every day for water and tea.

Trusted Contributor

I bought a Frigidaire one for 60 bucks on Amazon with the first stimulus check we got in 2020 as a gift to myself.

I see the prices have sadly doubled over the last 2 years. 

Still, I would by it in a heartbeat today! I love that thing!

It makes 9 ice cubes at a time in about 8 minutes. So there's no need to store the cubes. I need ice. I just make it.

I take ice water to work every morning and have ice coffees on weekends.

In the beginning I did make ice cubes and stored them in zip lock bags in the freezer.

As time went on I realized I didn't need to do this as it's so "quick and easy" to make ice.

I just use it "on demand" now. I want ice. I make ice.

I have left cubes in the bucket of the machine and they did last for several hours in there (I'm sure it would depend on your room temperature). Cubes don't melt away quickly as it gets cold inside that chamber and the ice keeps it cold.

I saw one on HSN the other day and it looked just like mine but had a different name. I think they all come from the same factory and they just put different brand names on them.

Go for the cheaper models, I'm sure they will work as well as the more expensive ones. Mine was cheap and is still going strong 2 years later, using it daily.

Highly recommend.

71dCZ2btviL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi 

YES!  We have one & it is worth every penny!  Last year we rented a home with an old refrigerator & the freezer doesn't have an ice maker.  I refuse to have to buy a bag of ice every week, so off to Best Buy we went and purchased one!  I just fill up big Ziploc bags & never run out.  I would have never realized these babies exist until we didn't have a nice, modern refrigerator.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

We got one when we saw one of our friends with it. We love it. I used to be an ice chewer and the ice is softer to eat than other types. I don't do that anymore, anemia was my issue. We still enjoy using our countertop ice maker. The only bad thing is they don't last for long. Some we have had last longer, some not as much. The igloo we got from sams pooped out in 6 months so they refunded our money. I don't have space in my freezer to put ice trays, always full of something.

Trusted Contributor

@eadu4  I see you're up in the middle of the night, too. I hope all is well with you.

Trusted Contributor

YESSS!!  I have one and love the ice cubes it makes.  Ice trays take up too much room in a freezer.  I drink alot of ice coffee, shakes and shaved ice for my grandkids and these smaller "bullet" shapped cubes are perfect.  Obviously there is a group of people who like these and buy them.  They last for quite a while in the "bin" before they melt.  I have a large Yeti cup and use a good portion in just that alone for one ice coffee.  If this one ever fails I will definitely get another.  

Trusted Contributor

@Renata22  Actually I get up this early for work lol.  I used to get up even earlier but now that I don't actually commute in and have to get down to the commuter lot for my vanpool, I get up with my husband when he gets up for work.  I'm wide awake once he gets up.   I start my morning reading and having my coffee.   I then check my inbox to see what I'm facing today lol. 

I like to read the forums in the morning as well.  And next 2 days I have lot to do as we are closing on the sale of our house and finishing the move to our temporary apt until my daughter's house is ready.  Thank you for your kind inquiry!  Hope all is well with you too Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@eadu4 I'm so glad you are well. Sounds like you have alot going on! Hope it all goes well.

I'm up with my sick pup, I think he is coming near to the end. He has cancer. Thank you for asking.

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 

I am so sorry to hear about your pup.

I will say a prayer for him.

We love them so much don't we?

(((((Renata)))))

Respected Contributor

@MezzieStarr I ordered your recommedation from Amazon. I think about $170 plus tax. Thanks