Honored Contributor

In 1 or 2 spaces you can do a small vingette of interesting items.   I've seen kitchens with a theme - by items & color.   You can group 3 similar items together, placed on a small tray or basket -- easy to remove when necessary

There are many really neat containers for common, everyday items, such as for wooden spoons & spatulas.   Along with salt & pepper, keep it all on a nice tray.

You can set up a coffee corner.

Think about what you reach for often, find some pretty jars or other containers to use on your counter, instead of inside a cabinet.    This is probably more "stuff" than you want but some ideas

kitchen decor.jpg

Respected Contributor

I collect primitives & have a wonderful apothecary, old stoneware, mortar & pestle, wood cutting boards, rolling pins, tin cookie cutters, wooden bowls, pantry boxes, wavy glass jars with tin lids, yellowware & more on my counters. I enjoy cooking in my kitchen, cleaning & moving my treasures around...I know it wouldn't work for others but it works for me. OP just add a few things you like... my friend likes swans & has a lovely carved swan & a swan shaped tile with salt & pepper shakers on the counter.

Esteemed Contributor

I envy you as I have an extremely TINY kitchen with very limited counter space.  Unfortunately I have to keep several things on it.....microwave, can opener, toaster old Pepsi crate (dividers are like small shelves with a few knick knacks and in one I keep an assortment of breakfast/granola type bars. I also have two cutting boards and an antique crock bowl that houses my dry dishtowels, rubber gloves & pot holders.  When I'm cooking or doing up dishes (no dishwasher), I use my table as counter space.

I'd go with a minimal amount of things....only use it for those things you absolutely use and need often.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Only put out things you use everyday or almost every day.  Coffee maker.  Toaster.  Can opener.  Utensils.  If you are not a clutterer, you won't want decorative items, I expect.  Done.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I have a small kitchen. One counter is 7 feet and the other by the sink is 4 feet. On the long counter I have a Keurig and a small toaster. 

No jug of utensils as that drawer is right under my counter stovetop. There is a small marble slab with s&p and evoo.

I have a corner sink so in the space behind that is a decorative item I may change out at times.

Honored Contributor

If you are a coffee or tea drinker you could set up a really fun coffee bar. I don't have an abundance of counter space, but I made room for a coffee bar.

Esteemed Contributor

Lucky you to have a lot of counter space! The less I see on a counter, the better. The only appliance that stays out all the time is the coffee pot. All other appliances are tucked away in easy to get to cabinets. I like a pretty, coordinating bowl for fresh fruits or summer tomatoes. Maybe an attractive wine rack if you like wine. You could also go online and search for photos of kitchens and get some ideas. I don't have a lot of counter space in my town house, so I try to keep things cleared off - now if I could just get hubby to do the same!

Honored Contributor

I have the opposite problem, we have a small kitchen and it is not an eat in kitchen.  I have far too little counter space.  Drives me crazy!  

Honored Contributor

I now have galley style kitchen with "limited" counterspace.  Even if I had my old kitchen which was big with nice island -- I hate cluttered counters.

I just have a 2 slice toaster near stove and by the sink I have my coffee pot tucked neatly under the cabinet.

Nothing else is out. My small appliances are stored in my walk-in pantry.

Honored Contributor

An orchid.