Respected Contributor

Has anyone tried these strip steaks.  Costco will have them on sale (dot com) starting Nov. 28.  They are Australian grass fed beef.  At a cost of $149.99 for 14/12 oz. steaks, I'm tempted to buy them, but would like some opinions on how they taste.  I've heard grass fed beef has a different taste than what we usually buy in the grocery stores. 

The on-lines reviews are very good, but your opinions mean more to me, so opinions wanted -- positive or negative.  

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker  I have never had these particular steaks, but had other grass fed steaks and prefer them to the corn fed ones.  The flavor is much better.

The steaks I really really love, are Prime steaks.  Prime meats were not available for a long time (at least I never saw any), but lately they are popping up in some places.

Honored Contributor

What's wrong with American beef?  Have we gotten to the point where we've run out of cattle and must now import them?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Costco Strip Steaks

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  It's the way cattle is fed here in America.  You can now get American grass fed beef also, but it's more costly.  Usually cattle is fed corn which is really not good for the animals.  So they have to give them antibiotics.  Also most cattle is given growth hormones to make them bigger.  Both of these things don't sound too great for our health.  Most other countries do not allow their animals to be given these hormones and antibiotics.

I do prefer grass fed for all these reasons, but I also buy the regular beef sometimes.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Costco Strip Steaks

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker wrote:

Has anyone tried these strip steaks.  Costco will have them on sale (dot com) starting Nov. 28.  They are Australian grass fed beef.  At a cost of $149.99 for 14/12 oz. steaks, I'm tempted to buy them, but would like some opinions on how they taste.  I've heard grass fed beef has a different taste than what we usually buy in the grocery stores. 

The on-lines reviews are very good, but your opinions mean more to me, so opinions wanted -- positive or negative.  

@coffee drinker  I can't speak to these specific steaks, but I agree with you that the price is tempting since it's grass fed.  I am not well versed in the whole processing thing, but from what I've read one also needs to be aware of how the beef is "finished".  Apparently the cattle can be grass fed for a period of time then towards the end a certain amount of grain can be given to fatten them up, and it can still be called a grass fed product.  Honestly, I don't spend the time to do that much research when I'm buying.  When I can, I like to get grass fed beef (even when finishing is unknown) and rest in the fact that it's better than totally corn fed.  Buying grass fed it isn't always possible for me due to availability.  With ground beef, however, Costco's Kirkland brand of Organic Ground Beef is a staple for us.  It is from 100% organic grass-fed Australian beef (meaning fed and finished).  I use it in a variety of ways and have never had anything taste "off".  To the contrary, the results are always very good.  That said, I would expect excellent results with the steaks too.

Respected Contributor

What grade of meat are they?  Do they carry a USDA Grade even though they're from Australia?  That's about $14.00/pound.  I can get steaks at my local supermarket for less than that.  I think I'd pass. 

Respected Contributor

The only NY Strip steaks I've ever gotten at Costco are the ones they sell fresh in their meat case.  I think they're about $8.99 a lb. or so & are quite good.  I think I'd rather pick out my own steaks than have them shipped to me, but that's just my preference.  I also like their ribeye steaks.

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker  Regarding the food these animals eat toward the end in Australia will be grass.  It is against the law there not to.  Here in the US, however many farms raise their cattle with grass, but toward the end, to fatten them up, they will get corn.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

What grade of meat are they?  Do they carry a USDA Grade even though they're from Australia?  That's about $14.00/pound.  I can get steaks at my local supermarket for less than that.  I think I'd pass. 

@Cats3000The organic grass fed ground beef I buy at Costco is inspected and passed the scrutiny of the USDA.  We can all get steaks for less than $14/lb.  I think you're missing that we're specifically discussing grass fed steaks as opposed to the corn fed beef that available at all supermarkets.  Grass fed is always going to be more expensive than corn fed.

Honored Contributor

All grass fed beef is something I rarely buy because it is often too lean and has to me an off flavor.  The ultimate beef is a younger animal than most market steers that has grass pasture and access to grain.  That way you get the best of both worlds, plus more fat in the meat and a better flavor and taste. 

If you ever find that, buy it!  Growing up my father raised cattle and we had all three kinds.  We all came to the conclusion that grass and grain was by far better.  None of our animals needed antibiotics.  We had about 100 of them at any time.