New Contributor

Cooks Essentials Pressure Cooker

I am having trouble with chili, sloppy joes and spaghetti sauces burning in my pressure cooker.

I brown the meat first and then add everything else and press chili.

when it stops cooking and I dish it out, the food is stuck on the bottom.

What am I doing wrong,

Thank you

Honored Contributor

Re: Cooks Essentials Pressure Cooker

[ Edited ]

I just use mine for meat cooking.  I'd do other stuff in a crock pot or a ninji.

to me a pressure cooker is just to tenderlize tough roasts, cook a chicken and then have dumplings, ribs, etc

I see them doing odd stuff in them like boil eggs, make cakes, huh?

wasn't raised to think a pressure cooker job was to do stuff U can do on the stove. LOL

Honored Contributor

@abstash wrote:

I am having trouble with chili, sloppy joes and spaghetti sauces burning in my pressure cooker.

I brown the meat first and then add everything else and press chili.

when it stops cooking and I dish it out, the food is stuck on the bottom.

What am I doing wrong,

Thank you

sounds like over cooking or not adding enough liquid ingredients

Honored Contributor

I have a CE pressure cooker but it doesn't have a chili setting.  The things you listed all take a relatively short cooking time.  Rather than use a pre-set, I'd try a timed setting of maybe 15-20 minutes.  Either your unit is cooking too long or too hot.  Do you have at least a cup of liquid in the pot?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

probably need a can of tomato sauce and can of water at least.

Valued Contributor

I use a slow cooker, but this might help. I put my meat in raw, sometimes a little frozen,chicken, beef whatever with other ingredients. I use some kind of tomato sauce or diced for moisture and to keep it lower in calories, as apposed to stocks and what not. I would do the same in a pressure cooker if I could find one digitized witha  non-toxic insert for a good price. Still looking.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm still learning with my CE pressure cooker but I know that the amount of liguid is key. It sounds like you need to add some additional water to your sauces. Try 1 1/2 cups and see if that works with your recipes. It did for me.  

Honored Contributor

Woman Happy

Whenever I make chili or Pasta sauce, even with frozen meatballs, the sauce will be burnt on the bottom.  I tryed adding more water, more tomato sauce but the results are the same.  Cook time is only 20 minutes.

Has anyone found a way to lower temp at start up ??

Respected Contributor

When I brown meat first in my pressure cooker, I add some stock or water first so the liquid sits on the bottom. I also let the hot insert cool a little.