Respected Contributor

Cooking a frozen pizza

[ Edited ]

The recent frozen pizza thread inspired me to buy a Newman's Own pizza the other day. 

The instructions say to put the pizza directly on the oven rack

That seems like a messy-oven idea -especially since I'd be adding extra cheese and stuff on top. 

I'm wondering what you all do when you cook frozen pizza?

Esteemed Contributor

I put the pizza directly on the rack as per the instructions, but I don't add any extra cheese. It doesn't make a mess.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking a frozen pizza

[ Edited ]

Presto Pizzazz rotating pizza oven.

This is the best appliance I own.   It cooks homemade, frozen....reheats take out, and can be used for other cooking purposes...

HSN   125-0846

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking a frozen pizza

[ Edited ]

I always followed directions and cooked "directly on the oven rack" until an incident last December.  The pizza "bled" olive oil like crazy.  I think the pizza was "marinara."  I had a liner on the bottom rack and olive oil pooled on it and went right through it or ran to its underside.  There was a lot of smoke.  I had to discard the oven liner and tediously clean the oven with a paste made of baking soda.  I have an exposed element on the bottom of the oven so it could have been worse.

So, never again "directly on the oven rack."  Since then, I always use a baking sheet.  The crust may not end up as crisp, but that's okay.

Trusted Contributor

@peachesncream   I never put anything directly on the rack regardless of instructions.  I alway use a pizza pan.  Newmans Own Pepperoni is my favorite frozen pizza, I love the sauce.

Esteemed Contributor

I ALWAYS put our frozen pizzas on a cookie sheet and they come out fine.  I don't need the headache or extra work of cleaning up cheese or toppings that may fall off.  What I always wonder is this - all the instructions say to keep frozen until you bake it.  Well after I take mine out of the freezer, they sit on the counter until the oven is heated to the proper temperature.  Or am I supposed to put the pizza back in the freezer after I read the instructions?  LOL, no matter mine turn out fine.

I will say the Screamin' Sicilian is the best frozen pizza we have found!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Why don't you try putting a wire cookie cooling rack onto a sheet pan.  That will give you airspace between the pan and the pizza so it should still crisp.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Presto Pizzazz rotating pizza oven.

This is the best appliance I own.   It cooks homemade, frozen....reheats take out, and can be used for other cooking purposes...

HSN   125-0846

This is fascinating! I never knew such an appliance existed.

I've used Presto products over the years and I think very highly of that brand. I have a large griddle and an electric skillet right now - love them both.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Why don't you try putting a wire cookie cooling rack onto a sheet pan.  That will give you airspace between the pan and the pizza so it should still crisp.

This is a really good idea! 

My first thought was that I would put a baking sheet in the oven while the oven is preheating - and then put the pizza on the hot sheet.  

But your idea sounds even better. 

Honored Contributor

I get best results just putting the pizza on the rack.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan