Respected Contributor

Is there any difference i.e. strength? between the two? Or is the difference how the colors look in a finished recipe?

Honored Contributor

Re: PEPPER ...BLACK vs WHITE?

@Flatbush,

That is an interesting question.

I always thought it was because of color and that the white was finer grained. My mil used to use it for her potato salad which was loved throughout the family!

I just tried to look up the difference and kind of sorry I did! So many different answers from white is smoother, lighter, milder but some"like its heat", its more herbaceous, "musty, grassy, fermented."

However it is described, it really was perfect in her potato salad.

I do think if the recipe calls for one or the other, I wold follow it. And you can also do a taste test side by side and see which one you like best.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I believe there Is. To me, black pepper is Much stronger. I can't taste anything else when there is black pepper on it.

White pepper is much milder to me.  It still has a "pepper" taste but has a "warm'? undertone.

That said, black pepper and white pepper come from the same peppercorns

The white pepper is put in water  to soak off the outer shell.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine,

I like your description much better than all the ones I read. It is simple and easy to understand and I think it matches what I remember of the white pepper taste in the potato salad. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We use both black & white. The flavor and strength is different. I think the white is more powerful and they are used differently in dishes that we make. Color plays a part in this.

Honored Contributor

I can't tell the difference in taste---I think it has to do with the color in certain recipes--you can't see white, therefore no dark specs. And white pepper is very finely ground for that reason. it's like using clear vanilla instead of normal vanilla

Respected Contributor

@wagirl 

You mean there is a difference in vanilla? Oh boy, this is a complicated world. Now I have to know the vanilla difference, please tell.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush There is a big difference in vanilla.  There is Tahitian, which is more floral, Mexican which varies wildly in taste and quality, and all sorts of blends, as well as the real and fake stuff.

As to pepper, whether it is pre-ground or freshly ground is a big part of how strong it is, and the type of pepper mill you use and the fineness of the grind.

I have a lot of pepper mills from over the years and recently got the Peppermate one.  Of all the brands, this one makes the freshest and most aromatic pepper of any mill I've used--even with Costco bulk pepper.  Who knew? 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

Oh wow, there is so much to learn. Thanks for the education. I've got to do more research.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush wrote:

@Sooner 

Oh wow, there is so much to learn. Thanks for the education. I've got to do more research.

@Flatbush No education intended.  Just a comment about the great variety out there.  The world has so many choices for us now.  So taste some and have more fun!

Edited to add:  You know how I know all of this?  I am very old and I love sampler packages!!!!  Woman Very Happy