Honored Contributor

Re: PEPPER ...BLACK vs WHITE?

@wagirl  @Flatbush   As well vanilla diff real vs artificial. Use only real it makes all the difference.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Yes I agree with you on how peppercorns are ground, more course lends more flavor, ground finely well the taste was all ground out. 

We have a pepper mill and always grind our own albeit all black, all white or a lovely colorful mix which we really enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush   I was taught there are certain dishes where you might prefer to use white pepper just for apearances. For example you might not want black specks in your white sauce.

Personally, I tend to add too much white pepper since I can't see it on the food. Cooking just for myself, I don't mind the black specks.

Esteemed Contributor

Googled it!  Quite interesting!

Honored Contributor

I never use white.  I don't think it's as popular as it once was since it seems to be more of an aesthetic requirement in recipes.

Honored Contributor

Sam's Club 'coarse' black is the best.  'Fine',  don't cut it with me. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush --Ha!  Just the color--not the taste--there is clear for things you don't want any color in and then the dark--that adds a touch of color---

Esteemed Contributor

I think the black is a much stronger flavor to me. The white is a bit mild but with s touch of smokienss. My favorite is the tri blend with black/red-pink/white. It really is a nice blend and adds the right amount of flavor. IMO 

Honored Contributor

My grandmother always used white pepper because my grandfather didn't like seeing black flecks in his food, especially white or light colored food.

To me, I think white pepper is hotter than black pepper.