Trusted Contributor

Re: Cookig Corned Beef Question

[ Edited ]

@bonappetitwrote:

The distinctive pink color in commercial corned beef comes from the use of sodium nitrite.

That stuff is known to cause cancer and will kill you.

Get an all natural beef brisket Round or Point, and brine it yourself with pickling spices.

Enjoy.

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

the best way, hands down, to cook corned beef...Drain it, throw out the packet..Wrap the meat in heavy duty foil, place on baking sheet .place in 300 degree oven..bake 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hr per pound..  

if you like, when it is done, glaze with a mix of apricot jam, horseradish and mustard and broil for a few minutes..

it it will be the most tender and least shrunken corned beef EVER..

Wehave done this for 40 years, and swear by it...

CORRECTION!!!- Temp should read 275 degres NOT 300!  sorry!

I am surprised you keep your oven that low as the corn beef package says 325 degrees if foil wrapped.

Esteemed Contributor

Since DH is out of town tonight, I cooked my first corned beef last night.  Got it from Costco, put it in the crockpot with the spices, topped it with bold beef stock, and let it cook.  While I am not a fan, DH proclaimed it the best that he has ever had.  Our dog loved it, too.  Certainly easy to prepare this way.  At least I will only be making it once a year and our dog will eat the leftovers.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ah, the annual corned beef cooking discussion. I have tried it in the crock pot, but my go to way is the pressure cooker - works every time. I do cook the potatoes seperately since I don't want them in that fat. I also only use the flat cut. Yum!

However, I am going to try @Mothertrucker's recipe to see how that works.

Respected Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

Ah, the annual corned beef cooking discussion. I have tried it in the crock pot, but my go to way is the pressure cooker - works every time. I do cook the potatoes seperately since I don't want them in that fat. I also only use the flat cut. Yum!

However, I am going to try @Mothertrucker's recipe to see how that works.

Just saw this! did you try it? How did you like it?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL @Mothertrucker , I JUST logged on to find and print your recipe since I am making it this weekend! I will report back - promise!! And, thanks for checking.

Trusted Contributor

One more question: can I do this in my countertop Oster oven or should I go for the real oven? Sometims the smaller one cooks things too quickly. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

One more question: can I do this in my countertop Oster oven or should I go for the real oven? Sometims the smaller one cooks things too quickly. Thanks!

Hmmm. I do not know, I havent tried it in my Breville- if you try it, please let me  know!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lisa now in AZ   Just my take--I wouldn't use the convection feature on the Oster (I have one, too) because it might dry it out or make it less tender.  When I use that feature I lower the temp by 25 degrees.  

@Mothertrucker  might have a better/more informed answer.  It will be interesting to see her thoughts.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @aroc3435 and @Mothertrucker. I wasn't going to use the convection feature, just the baking one, but I decided that if @Mothertrucker had been making it this way for 40 years, that was long before we had those smaller toaster/countertop ovens, so I made it in the real oven. Yummy!