Respected Contributor

Re: Cookig Corned Beef Question

[ Edited ]

@Hellcat64wrote:

@Mothertruckerwrote:

the best way, hands down, to cook corned beef...Drain it, throw out the packet..Wrap the meat in heavy duty foil, place on baking sheet .place in 300 degree oven..bake 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hr per pound..  

if you like, when it is done, glaze with a mix of apricot jam, horseradish and mustard and broil for a few minutes..

Please note I corrcted the temp above, it sould be 275- (I did this on my phone and didnt notice till just now! sorry!

it it will be the most tender and least shrunken corned beef EVER..

Wehave done this for 40 years, and swear by it...

I am always looking for a different way to make corned beef and yours sounds delicious. I especially like your glaze combo. How do you prepare the carrots, potatoes and cabbage if you do?

I save the liquid from the corned beef, and cut those veggies into smallish pieces and microwave them in the corned beef "broth" (you still get a little broth , even though shrinkage is very little)

Though this is the greatest recpipe for the corned beef,the traditional veggies suffer a little!

SORRY! Temp should read 275 for the corned beef! I oiginally did this on my phone and it was too small to proofread!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mothertrucker-HEAVENLY!JUST XACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!✌🏻✌🏻❤️💓👍🏻❤️👍🏻🍀

@DiAnne-GREAT! 

I may have to try to try one of each of these recipes during the week and see which one works better for my family and their wacky Irish-German taste buds!🍀🍀👏🏻👍🏻✌🏻

Frequent Contributor

@Mothertrucker  

Thanks for the temp correction. I am definitely going to try your recipe. I think I may simmer the veg with the spice packet and 

better than bullion beef or chicken then pour the corned beef juice on them.

Frequent Contributor

@violann  HaHa! My husband’s family also have those wacky 

Irish/German tastebuds.

Respected Contributor

We buy a corned beef round.  Much less fat than a brisket.  We use a slow cooker until it's fork tender.  Wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@Mothertruckerwrote:

the best way, hands down, to cook corned beef...Drain it, throw out the packet..Wrap the meat in heavy duty foil, place on baking sheet .place in 300 degree oven..bake 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hr per pound..  

if you like, when it is done, glaze with a mix of apricot jam, horseradish and mustard and broil for a few minutes..

CORRECTION!!!- Temp should read 275 degres NOT 300!  sorry!

@Mothertrucker just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for this method of cooking a corned beef.  So easy and it came out great.  I made mine without the topping and @RespectLife made hers with the glaze and both came out perfect (I have another corned beef and I am going to try the glaze too).

Thank you again my friend!

Respected Contributor

My daughter got one & just learning to really cook got a big 6'4" b/f (big eater) I never made one she calls me I said well this has to be cooked long & slow from what I read. It came out great from what she said, so I said next time they are on sale get 2. They got lunch out of it too. She is getting some confidence in cooking. She now thinks she is the cornbeef queen. I am just happy she is cooking more, learning slow cooker with cheaper cuts of meat & season it.oo. They spent so much on fast food (not healthy).  I love that she is trying to cook more & learning it's cheaper than going out plus leftovers too. Even the boyfriend cooks too. 

Frequent Contributor

@Mothertrucker

made your corned beef recipe and it was delicious. I had a 7lb.

corned beef so it took all day to cook it but well worth it. I could also see using that glaze on a pork roast or chicken wings. You 

definitely intrigued me enough to try it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloewrote:

@Mothertruckerwrote:

CORRECTION!!!- Temp should read 275 degres NOT 300!  sorry!

@Mothertrucker just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for this method of cooking a corned beef.  So easy and it came out great.  I made mine without the topping and @RespectLife made hers with the glaze and both came out perfect (I have another corned beef and I am going to try the glaze too).

Thank you again my friend!

So glad you liked it! and thanks for letting me know!

We originally learned this method  from the  people who used to run the  food service at our local (Santa Anita ) Racetrack in our hometown of Arcadia, CA..They also owned restaurants and a deli back in the day and were known for their corned beef sandwiches- 

Respected Contributor

@Hellcat64- you are very welcome!  It IS  good,a nd really SO easy!   I appreciate  that you let me know! (yeah, that glaze is good on meatballs too!)