Esteemed Contributor

Was checking out the posted recipes here but noticed they were for the red corned beef.  My mother used to cook the gray corned beef along with carrots and potatoes.  Think she baked it(?).  Anyways, it was delicious, nice and moist.  I'm not a big meat eater, but really loved corned beef.

Could anyone tell me it the gray is cooked the same; and, or, add any of your delicious recipes?  Thanx.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cookig Corned Beef Question

I've cooked a corned beef before, but I have never even heard of a gray corned beef! I just googled it and there are several recipes for gray corned beef. Bon appetit!

Respected Contributor

Corn beef is usually boiled. As it cooks it can lose some color and get gray.  Also fat could be grayish.

I love corn beef so simple to make and delicious.

Enjoy. Happy St Pats Day!

Super Contributor

The distinctive pink color in commercial corned beef comes from the use of sodium nitrite.

Read more: http://www.cookistry.com/2011/03/corned-beef-brining-two-ways.html#ixzz59HtkmW00

Esteemed Contributor

@bonappetitwrote:

The distinctive pink color in commercial corned beef comes from the use of sodium nitrite.

Read more: http://www.cookistry.com/2011/03/corned-beef-brining-two-ways.html#ixzz59HtkmW00

Wow! Thank you, @bonappetit.  That was very interesting.  

I only knew of gray corned beef growing up so perhaps my mother did her own corning.  She was a wonderful cook!  I've eaten red corned beef in a restaurant, but never the gray.  Looking t the ads, I've notice that they are now selling red, gray and barrel-cured.  But, I'd love to cook the gray.  And, now I know I can use the same recipe regardless of the color.

Honored Contributor

Trader Joe's sells the best corned beef I have ever had.  They only carry it this time of year.  

Honored Contributor

i dont think i have ever seen a "gray" corned beef. ours are always a deep pink color. i prefer putting mine in the oven after braising it. i cook it low and slow and get a delicious tender corned beef....add cabbage and potatoes of course.

it takes a while, but it is delicious!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I’m expected to celebrate the holiday with a corned beef and cabbage dinner, but seeing as how I’ll be baby sitting all week I’m looking for SUPER EASY. I think I remember,her baking the meat (maybe braising it) but I can’t remember if that was good OR easy. 

OPINIONS?

Trusted Contributor

Crockpot..easy peasy

Honored Contributor

I don't think I would be tempted to eat gray meat...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥