Honored Contributor

Re: Cookie exchanges. Anyone do them?

mominohio.....you did a good job on the other thread.....and i agreed with your stance. i kind of gave up myself and walked away shaking my head.

hope you enjoy the cookie exchange! it sounds like a fun get-together and a great way to try some new cookies.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Here's my experience FWIW:

I've been hosting, organizing, and participating for over 25 years, even before I had children. I love them!

My favorites are the ones when we bring cookies, and before we do the exchange we have wine and appetizers!

I've been to small ones - 4 or 5 people, where everyone gets 2-3 of everybody else's cookies; and large ones -25 0r more people, where everyone gets to choose 2-3 from any 15 plates.

We put some on a plate to sample while we're there!

We always bring copies of the recipes. For small ones, everyone makes her own copies so everyone will have a copy of each recipe. For large ones, someone takes the copies and makes copies in one booklet for everyone who attended.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is when someone will stop at the store and buy cookies. One year we had more store-bought cookies than homemade ones. I don't mind if someone really runs out of time and just can't make any, but if a lot of people do that, what's the point?

We've also had women who want to come for the evening, but not make any or take any home. That's fine - I always enjoy seeing them and they enjoy eating the cookies!

We always make plates for anyone who's not able to come because she's sick, or there are other reasons.

They're a lot of fun - I'm going to one tomorrow night! Can't wait! And DH always anxiously waits to sample the treasures I bring home! Smile

Trusted Contributor

On 12/9/2014 balogna said:
<br />

I was just over there, when I saw what some of them wrote, I have to think twice do I bake my pumpkin bread for my neighbor and some co-workers. All I can say is WOW!!!!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Or should I ask my neighbor, " are you eating it or you going to throw it away?" {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I'll take some of your pumpkin bread. We really like it, but it's not something I make very often. One of the ladies at work makes pumpkin bread and she makes sure we get a loaf. (She has cats, too.....horrors! Guess I'll have to throw it out this year. Bummer. It's really quite good.)

Seriously, though, with our family cookie exchange, my MIL who is in her 90s and still bakes, but not like she used to, always attends our exchange. And I always give her a good share of the cookies, even though she doesn't bring any cookies. She loves to attend and she enjoys herself. (She loves the mimosas, too. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}) She and my FIL love to sample all the cookies. She has such a good time.

Respected Contributor

On 12/9/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

I know that, with our one at work, she's a little fussy, but I think that's why it works. She would like to know ahead of time, who is bringing what; that way, we don't have several people bringing the same thing. And she tells newcomers right out that you must make your own cookies (and not from store-bought dough) and that holiday-type cookies are expected. If people have questions, they can ask her. She's very careful. She doesn't mind cut-out sugar cookies, but they can't be from packaged refrigerated dough.

I usually do rolled-out cookies that I've decorated. Sometimes I'll do a spritz cookie, but since they're smaller cookies, I'll contribute more than a dozen. And they're decorated, too. I've made snowflakes from sugar cookie dough (my own, not packaged) and then put some snowflakes together with a chocolate frosting and edible glitter.

Somebody mentioned candy. I make almond brittle every year. Last year, instead of bringing an extra dozen cookies for the table, I brought a batch of almond brittle and a batch of seasoned pecans. They were a big hit.

Our family exchange is a little less formal. We do like to know ahead of time what people are bringing, again, so we don't have the same cookie. But pretty much any kind of cookie is OK, as long as there's no packaged dough; that's pretty much our only rule. I know that I'm making the snowflakes that I mentioned above. My nephew's GF's mother is making candy cane cookies. My niece is making chocolate pretzel cookies. And so on.

Debc, are those pictures from a party you had? They are such pretty cookies!

Yes, generally there are 15-20 people at the ones I've been to. I always have a good time.

Putting limits on what kind would make me not come personally. Many people can't cook, or don't have time to. While I spend an ungodly amount of time on the 3 kinds I make I don't hold it against people who don't. It's about the get together IMO.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 sunshine45 said:

mominohio.....you did a good job on the other thread.....and i agreed with your stance. i kind of gave up myself and walked away shaking my head.

hope you enjoy the cookie exchange! it sounds like a fun get-together and a great way to try some new cookies.

Thanks! I appreciate the support.

Honored Contributor

On 12/8/2014 debc said:

I think they're a lot of fun. The one's I've been to have been great. The person who hosts it generally has a small brunch. Some even have a door prize. Generally a cookie cookbook, decorated cake or something similar. Usually you take how many people come to decide how many cookies you bring. The more cookies, the more variety and amount you get.

Some bring gift bags and put one of each and give them as gifts to teachers, their mailmen, whoever. After the first one you learn to bring a container to pack them home in.

Some are really great, some are store bought and some not so good. It's all about getting together for me. I generally bring double what I should, 2 different kinds, always rosettes and something else. I also bring something for the host of the party.

I bring stuff like this.

These look so good! Reminds me of what our family get together's used to look like back in the 1960's. Lots of good cooks, and great memories.

Trusted Contributor

Now I am going to have to get out my Rosette irons,those look so GOOD.
Frequent Contributor

I saw this blog a few days but was too busy baking cookies to reply. I just hosted my fifth neighbors, my adult children & their spouses &family & my DH's close friends. Each family (I invite the entire family) is asked to bring their own or store-bought cookies, candies, cupcakes or whatever confection they choose. The purpose is to make new friends & meet the familiar.

It IS a lot of work for me & this year was particularly frustrating since many who have come before just figured I would know that so never bothered to RSVP! I type out the invitation & on bright RED or GREEN paper & my DH delivers them to the specific mailboxes right after the mail is delivered.

The house is always overflowing w/people, happy chatter, outburst of laughter & a great time by all. We supply the beverages: coffee, tea, soda, beer.

For me, who labors over intricate cookie making because it is my very favorite hobby since I have become house-bound years ago, I don't care whether some can bake or need to buy. Spending a few hours with those whose lives are busy & usually have a friendly wave or never even pass the house, it is a chance to spend some quality time and put some real meaning into the greeting "Merry Christmas!"

Re{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have been hosting a cookie exchange for many years. We don't really call it a Cookie Exchange. We just call it getting together to bake cookies. When I lived in a large house with a huge kitchen, a dining room and a pantry; it was easier. There was plenty of room for everyone to work. It was just a few close friends, my sisters, some of our daughters. About 10. I had to adjust when we moved into our condo, we have a small kitchen. So, now I host a cookie baking day and my bff hosts a cookie baking day. We attend each other's. It's down to 4 or 5 at each of our homes. It really is a lot of fun. We drink egg nog, listen to Xmas music and bake our buns off....lol Everyone comes with containers or bags and take what pleases us.

Honored Contributor

I had actually never heard of this, except on this board. Is this a regional, or generational, thing? It seems like a really cool idea. I've just never seen it anywhere that I've lived, over the years.