Respected Contributor

My grandmother made the best coconut cake I have ever tasted. She used a dense cake for the layers and a boiled frosting made in a sauce pan. It was buttery, sugary ,loaded with coconut. It was poured over each layer with extra coconut added before putting the next layer on. She would say you have to have a sturdy cake for this frosting. I was a kid  and oh how I wish I had her recipe. I have not tasted another coconut cake that comes close to hers.

Trusted Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Knit-Chick wrote:

My mom used to buy the Pepperidge Farm coconut cake (in the freezer section) to keep on hand and be able to thaw out when needed.  It was very good!

@Knit-Chick  I haven't had one of those in many years but I remember them well. They've been around for quite a while.

@colliemom4  I know!  nothing beats homemade, but my dad loved dessert and she couldn't make something from scratch all the time.  Those cakes made him happy and it brings back nice memories when I see them at the store Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Knit-Chick wrote:

My mom used to buy the Pepperidge Farm coconut cake (in the freezer section) to keep on hand and be able to thaw out when needed.  It was very good!

@Knit-Chick  I haven't had one of those in many years but I remember them well. They've been around for quite a while.

@colliemom4  I know!  nothing beats homemade, but my dad loved dessert and she couldn't make something from scratch all the time.  Those cakes made him happy and it brings back nice memories when I see them at the store Smiley Happy

@Knit-Chick  Yes they do bring back memories! My daughter's friend still loves the cakes but I think they are made by Sara Lee? Or I may be wrong. Just know I was in the grocery with her one day and she picked one up for her friend.

Respected Contributor
Love a pure white cake with whipped cream type frosting that starts with making a cooked based. I don’t even know if I still have the recipe my aunt made. She also used the same icing ilon a homemade red velvet cake, best cake ever that she would make for family members birthdays. I am not a fan of cream cheese type frosting that is typically put on red velvet cake. Too much cake is part of the reason i’m on a weight loss program, don’t make them anymore but about now I would cave for a slice of good coconut cake.
Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy   Yes the whipped cream type toppings are good too. I've done that before. I found the recipe online. You just put coconut over it. You can use cool whip, cool whip light or whatever type of whipped brand you decide to use.

Honored Contributor

Ok, I'll be the only one wondering....what is a white pizza????

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

When my brother and SIL ordered one in a restaurant, I tasted a sliver.  It had a thin, bread-like crust and a sauce made from ricotta, cream, and eggs.  Toppings included more ricotta, mozzarella, Pecorino, spinach, and scallions.  It was very rich.  Not my favorite pizza, but they enjoyed it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Coconut Cake Question

[ Edited ]

The best homemade coconut cake I've ever had is from an ATK recipe. It uses cream of coconut in both the cake and the frosting. I always put tons of coconut between the layers and on the top and sides of the frosted cake. It's completely decadent. The cake tastes like coconut; it's not simply a white cake. TDF Sometimes I'll spread a lemon filling between the layers. Coconut and lemon is divine.

Ina Garten also has a great recipe for coconut cake. But I really think ATK's recipe is simply wonderful. 

The best store-bought coconut cake is from a local restaurant/bakery here in central PA. I always order a 10-inch two-layer cake for our dessert table at Christmas. It's heaven on a plate.

I dearly love a good white coconut cake.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2 So sorry!  I didn't see your post.

A white pizza has mozzarella, ricotta, basal -and then vegies like sundried tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, green pepper, and onion or your choice of vegies.  There is no red tomato sauce.

Respected Contributor

Traditional Italian meringue (seven minute) frosting.

Okay, now I’m cake hungry.