Honored Contributor

Coconut Cake Question

[ Edited ]

Tonight I went to our wonderful,  privately owned pizza restaurant to get a white pizza there on the counter were two large cake stands with two picture perfect homemade cakes.  I choose  the last two pieces of coconut cake.

I always loved my grandmother's coconut cakes.  I remember her bring in the coconut, after riding all day there would be a beautiful coconut cake.

Tonight's cake had cream cheese frosting with the fresh coconut.  I was always accustomed to seven minute frosting with the coconut.

I've had bakery icing with coconut on cakes before and didn't care for it. 

What kind of frosting do you put on your coconut cakes?

Honored Contributor

i prefer a cream cheese frosting or a whipping cream frosting on a coconut cake.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Cream cheese frosting for me, too.

Respected Contributor

Buttercream

Honored Contributor

I always frost a white coconut cake with butter cream icing, but I may try the cream cheese next time.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  The key to the best coconut cake is shredded FRESH coconut.  You could even use a box yellow cake and it would still be good.  The frosting I am use to is butter, confectioner's sugar, milk and a little vanilla.  If you have a better recipe, please share it.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@ECBG  The key to the best coconut cake is shredded FRESH coconut.  You could even use a box yellow cake and it would still be good.  The frosting I am use to is butter, confectioner's sugar, milk and a little vanilla.  If you have a better recipe, please share it.

@Katcat1 I love the freshly shredded coconut!  I bet my grandmother poured the coconut milk on the layers as well.

I have taught Foods and Foods Science (although we all know the color creative classes were the ones I lived for).  I have Whirlpool's special oven for bakers.  I can do it all, but don't.  This lady was an accomplished baker where I went the way of design.

The cake it's self was a wonderful, moist white cake, definately not a box mix and absolutely delicious.

I still think Seven Minute frosting is the best flavor in this case with Cream Cheese Frosting coming in a close second.

Here's Seven Minute Frosting with pictures.

https://www.southernplate.com/failproof-7-minute-frosting/

I guess I never saw her making the coconut cakes was because she usually had big butter pound cakes ( I was a kid and prefered frosting, not pound cakes!), and fresh fruit pies with homemade crusts.

Since then I've tasted countless pound cakes and realize her cakes were outstanding.

Honored Contributor

here is the whipping cream frosting recipe.....

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces cream cheese (use the block cheese, not the cream cheese in a container
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 3/4 cups heavy cream, cold
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you could also use coconut extract for a coconut cake)

Instructions
  1. Place the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a large bowl and beat on medium-low speed until smooth.
  2. Turn the mixer down to medium-low speed and pour the heavy cream down the side of the bowl in a very slow and steady stream, stopping every now and then to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula.
  3. When all the cream has been added, turn the mixer up to medium-high and whip until the frosting holds stiff peaks.
  4. Fold in the extract.

Keep cold, can be made 24 hours in advance.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Y'all making me want coconut cake in the worst way.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Thank you very much for posting the link to the frosting.  I had never heard of it!

You use the beaters right in your pot?  Doesn't that ruin the inside finish?  I noticed she says you don't need to bother w/ the double boiler method...so I suppose if I was concerned about my pan, I could.

Have you made it?

I love to bake and always from scratch...but hate making frosting!  Too sweet, too much butter, too much work!

I have been looking for a light recipe that was easy and this may be it!