Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning reusable drink straws

@Annabellethecat66  This is what I use to clean my glass straws.

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Lilysmom Look at these!  I went on Amazon and typed in 'brushes for cleaning straws' and lots popped up....look at how many you get for just $ 6!!

Hiware Drinking Straw Brush Kit - (3-size) 9-piece Straw Cleaner - Cleaning Brush For Multiple Size Straws

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@summerwind wrote:

I remember paper straws. They'd get soggy, then collapse when you sucked. Hope they're better made this time around.

This would've been 1950s into the 60s. Was probably a bigger problem with malts/shakes, we didn't get sodas.

@summerwindThe one I had was very sturdy and at a 4 star resturant.  I drink a lot of tea during a meal and that straw kept up with me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderland, our municipality is also investigating a ban on plastic bags.  There used to be a market for them in China but that is not the case anymore.  Both the straws and the bags are a serious problem.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks again everyone.  Great suggestions.  I will check out BBB this morning and the $ store.  If no success, off I go to Amazon.  LM

Super Contributor

I've bought the straw cleaner brushes at Walmart - sold where the insulated cups are sold.  It works great - I just put a bit of dishsoap on the brush itself and run it through each straw a few times, rinse, and let them dry. 

Respected Contributor

we use reusable straws all the time. i just put them in siverware basket in the dishwasher.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Alison Wonderland, our municipality is also investigating a ban on plastic bags.  There used to be a market for them in China but that is not the case anymore.  Both the straws and the bags are a serious problem.  LM

My city did it about 6 years ago. My parents are in California and my mom had been using cloth bags for groceries for a few years because of their own law, so I felt well-prepared with several sets of reusable bags, but there was something I missed.

I was well-prepared for grocery stores, but I forgot about all the other stores. I would forget bags when I went to the drugstore, the beauty supply store, Five Below, Bed, Bath & Beyond, or a clothing store. Some stores had paper bags instead, like the clothing stores. Most stores had nothing and I wound up stuffjing as much as I could into my purse and carrying the rest. Those stores eventually also got paper bags, which I reuse or put in the recycle. Some grocery stores now use paper bags and others use reusable plastic bags that are much sturdier than the old bags and meant to be used over and over. They all charge for any bag you get at the point of purchase, so it's cheaper and better for the environment to bring bags from home.

I have some reusable nylon bags and some reusable insulated bags for bringing home frozen goods. The hardest part is getting into the habit of putting them by the front door and getting them back into my car so I have them for the next trip to the store. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alison Wonderland, we have been using cloth bags for groceries for quite awhile now (years).  Our municipality had stockpiled huge bales of plastic bags which used to be sold to China but now China doesn’t take them anymore.  Our Dept of Environment had to give special dispensation for them to be disposed of locally.  A complete ban is not far away on plastic bags.

I checked at the $ store today.  No straw cleaners there.  I will check WM and BBB later in the week.  In the meantime, I picked up some pipe cleaners from the $ store.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@mima, the knot is a great idea!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Update, went to BB&B today and found a set to clean both water bottles and reusable straws.  Thanks everyone!  LM