Trusted Contributor

Re: Cleaning reusable drink straws

@Lilysmom wrote:

Is there a brush that is available to do this?  If so, where can I get one.  Other ideas?

In Canada, there is serious discussion of banning the use of plastic disposable straws.  

TIA.  LM

@Lilysmom, our family uses - Pipe Cleaners / Chenille Stems - which you can purchase from the 99 cents/Dollar type stores & craft stores.

IHTH Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I would soak them in very hot, soapy water for 5 min.  Then rinse out.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Ok, I am curious now so I have to ask.....

What are you people drinking that you need pipe cleaners & such to scrub clean the inside of a straw instead of just rinsing the inside w/hot water? confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Saw this in Container Store.

The Straw Brush is for 16” straws

5723D6C7-FA7E-48D0-9394-691FAC498C34.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Why the possible ban on plastic straws?  I just soak them in hot soapy dishwater, wipe outside with dishcloth and rinse.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

there are brushes to do this

have seen them

but to me  reusable straws are kind of icky ----but thats me

try amazon,  or the section where they sell all those drink bottles in a BBB type of store 

Honored Contributor

I have a brush just for that.  It has stiff brissels and it's very, very thin.  I purchased it on QVC probably 6 or 8 months ago.  There were 3 in the package.

I use it for the straws used in those cups that have seals on them.  They are amazing!

People have no idea about the black bacteria left in those sealed thermos bottles, etc.  I take the things apart and get the nastiest black stuff out of them!

Here's something on QVC but I googled what you posted and tons of tiny straw-cleaning brushes came up!

1. Product Detail

L44499
Koffie Straw Set of 2 Reusable Silicone Coffee Straws
Esteemed Contributor

@Melvin-QVC, thanks!  I have used one but two is better for my coffee straw,  thanks!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, great suggestions.  50% of plastic garbage on beaches is plastic straws.  It is a real problem for marine life.  I live in coastal Nova Scotia and it is a real issue.

The kind of straws I am interested in cleaning are aluminum and/or stainless steel.  I use them with my coffee and coffee stains do build up.

To clean out the aluminum coffee mugs, you can put a dishwasher detergent pod in the mug with hot water and let soak.  The mugs are spotless after that.  I also have some heavy duty reusable plastic straws but I don’t want to use that method to clean those as it leaves an after taste.  DH can’t taste it but I can.

I will definitely check Walmart/$ store etc.  I don’t shop Amazon that much.

Thanks for the great feedback.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, thank you!  I know the coffee build up can be significant.  I am always cleaning my straws and now I have some help finding the best way to do it!  LM