Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning reusable drink straws

@Lilysmom I remember when I bought these tiny (but long) brushes they were final clearance.  I remember David was selling them and they were in the kitchen thing.

I found other's that were cheaper on the internet but QVC won't let anyone post websites because it's in conflict with their products.  I understand that.

Anyway, I did find some exactly like I bought on QVC but I couldn't get a picture of them.  I'll keep trying because I wonder how long the QVC one's are.

The one's I bought from them are long and the bristles go way up to the handle.

I'm always buying stuff like that.  I have some of just about every gadget (most I'll never use, but lots come in handy).

Respected Contributor

There are special brushes you can get in some departments with the straws or in the water bottle section.  You can also go to Amazon and search for a straw cleaning brush.  I just soak them in bleach and use pipe cleaners or pop them into the dishwasher, but the dishwasher does always remove some of the remnants from lipstick/lip balm that are around the outside or make it to the inner lip of the straw.  Bleach and pipe cleaners really get them clean.  You could use vinegar if you don't like bleach or just hot soapy water really.

Respected Contributor

Target also sells a straw cleaning kit near the sports bottles,  reusable straws, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom Look at these!  I went on Amazon and typed in 'brushes for cleaning straws' and lots popped up....look at how many you get for just $ 6!!

Hiware Drinking Straw Brush Kit - (3-size) 9-piece Straw Cleaner - Cleaning Brush For Multiple Size Straws

Respected Contributor

I purchased aset of them from B.B. & Beyond.

Respected Contributor

Yuck. They make my teeth sqeech like mine wooden spoons for icecream They both bother me. But probably better for the enviroment

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Why the possible ban on plastic straws?  I just soak them in hot soapy dishwater, wipe outside with dishcloth and rinse.

@Imaoldhippie The same reason more and more places are banning single-use plastic bags - plastics are clogging our oceans and are very harmful to the environment and to animals. Most straws are not recyclable or compostable and even the ones that are recyclable are not getting recycled but going into the trash. The volume is staggaring because 500 million straws are used every year. They're winding up in the oceans, all over our beaches, and are harming sea life.

People are being encouraged to give up straws when they can, but some people need straws, especially people with handicaps who have a hard time drinking from a container without a straw or need vessels that don't spill easily because of coordination issues. Easily washable reusable straws are a better option than disposable plastic straws.

Here are some links where you can learn more:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/plastic-straws-ocean-trash-environment/

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/science/fighting-pollution-avoiding-plastic-straws-ncna856296

https://www.buzzfeed.com/gretaalvarez/stop-using-disposable-straws?utm_term=.dtWO1nQrNj#.cgOYRaMK02

https://www.strawlessocean.org/faq/

Honored Contributor

Actually my daughter and I were just talking about this and she was telling me that she has seen sets that come with a very thin brush to clean them.

Honored Contributor

There are heavy paper drinking straws that don't fall apart and are degradeable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In our home, we use glass straws (ordered on Amazon)...they offer a small bristle brush that fits inside the straw.  If you are drinking a thick smoothie it tends to stick to the inside of the straw.  It is necessary to use this brush cleaner that is flexible to clean the glass straws that have an angle in them.

I have also ordered stainless steel straws, but it is impossible to know if the inside of the straw is clean.  My family prefers the feel, look, and cleanliness of the glass,.