Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Lock n Lock disappointment

@loriqvc wrote:

@manhattan1950 wrote:

Lock n Lock is a cheap, inferior product. I bought a set of snapware from Costco last year. Never had a problem with them.

@manhattan1950 - I have had the opposite experience—I was very happy to get rid of all my Snapware with its tabs that break off if you look at them wrong and upgrade to Lock & Lock containers, which have been wonderful.

I've had the same experience as you, Lori.   I didn't buy a bunch of Snapware but had a couple of them, as well as a couple other brands, just for the purpose of comparison.  They were nowhere near as quality as Lock & Lock.  Furthermore, they weren't even airtight or liquid tight.

I still test even new L&L that I get and even the ones I've gotten in the last few months were still airtight and liquid tight.   They are well-made and hold up forever for me, even the ones that are in constant use that I need to get in and out of every single day.

The only breakage I've had were from human error.   Mostly, in the past, from dropping one out of the freezer.  They are plastic.  You freeze plastic and it is more rigid so, yeah, if you drop one 5 feet onto the tile floor it will crack.   I just got super careful about that and haven't had it happen in ages.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never been disappointed by this brand of plastic storage containers. I'm not at all sure that the quality has declined either.

We're not talking stainless steel here. Considering that these are made from plastic, I'm amazed at their longevity

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps, their quality hasnt declined..Perhaps it was always like this..I suppose that when you own hundreds of something, like I do L & L,  it is inevitable that some will be defective..

My observation simply is that 10 years ago, my L&L might occasionally break after I had USED them  dozens of times. After all, as you say, they are only made of plasic..NOW, however, some ARRIVE broken, or break within the first few uses..

I have some tripods, but, even the old ones  (which are intact) are still air and water tight..Of course, I have many more pieces which are NOT broken, than which ARE.

In  my mind, really good customer service means not HAVING to replace something, because it doesnt break in the first place, but after all, these ARE just plastic containers..not coffee makers or something...

New Contributor

I have a lot of sets of lock & lock that I bought back in 2000.  It was heavier, thicker, and the tabs never broke off and I still have almost all of the pieces.  What I have bought recently is thinner, the tabs are brittle, and cooking in them just once in the microwave turns the inside white and rough and looks awful.  I don't now why the quality has to go down.  I only buy the glass bowls now for use in the microwave. 

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have never been disappointed by this brand of plastic storage containers. I'm not at all sure that the quality has declined either.

We're not talking stainless steel here. Considering that these are made from plastic, I'm amazed at their longevity

I agree.  I've had some pieces for a very long time, and some that are much more new, and I've never had a problem with L&L at all.  I've tried others, and IMO nothing compares.  

Contributor

I agree. I have just recently had the tabs to start breaking off. I gave my sister some for Christmas, very first time she used it, tab popped off.